Whether you are doing a remodel of one or more rooms in your home, you are working with a home builder and architect on a new home, or you are just considering your interior design options in general, home decor regarding your fireplace is an important thing to consider. When it comes to a fireplace, many people are realizing all of the benefits that you can expect when choosing electric fireplaces for their home. However, full-size electric fireplaces can take up some space. This might not be ideal for people that have limited space to work with. In instances like this, they might consider trying to consolidate an electric fireplace with another piece of furniture in the home like a media stand. Of course, this leads to the question: is there a TV stand that even fits an electric fireplace inside of it?
In the post that follows, we are going to talk about electric fireplaces, how they relate to your TV stand, and what the best option might be for your specific situation. Let’s jump into the post.
Media Stand Built in Fireplace
What You Will Learn In This Post:
- Why Are Electric Fireplaces Better Than Gas or Traditional Wood Fireplaces? – While many people already understand how great electric fireplaces are, they might still be weighing their options. If you are someone that might be considering a gas fireplace or a wood fireplace over an electric one, this section is going to explain why you should ignore those other options. We will highlight all of the problems that you will face when using a wood fireplace or a gas fireplace in your home and all of the benefits that you can expect from an electric fireplace instead.
- Is There a TV Stand, Media Stand, or Entertainment Center To Put TVs Up On In The Living Room That Also Fits an Electric Fireplace? – In this section, we are going to talk about TV stands where you can fit an electric fireplace inside of them. We will talk about both of the upsides and the downsides of using this as your electric fireplace solution.
- What Are Some Brands of TV Stands With Electric Fireplaces Already Built Into Them? There are some TV console stands that already have electric fireplaces built into the body of them. Don’t whip out your credit card or gift cards and start ordering stands to put your TVs up on just yet. It’s important that you choose television stands from a trusted brand. In this section, we will talk about brands like Walker Edison and more.
- What Are Some Good Features to Make Sure Are Included With a TV Stand or Entertainment Center That You Put TVs Up On? – Whether you are getting a unit to put an electric fireplace in it or just want something that looks good with your standalone electric fireplace if you are getting one of the many media centers out there for your home, you need to be aware of the features and options within these units that are available to you.
- Is Wall Mounting an Electric Fireplace a Better Option Than Finding a TV Stand That Can Fit an Electric Fireplace and What Are Some Other Options? – If you decide that the downsides of an electric fireplace inside of a media console make it not an ideal option for you, then what are your other options? In this section, we will cover a few different alternatives to one of these fireplace stands to put TVs up on, and which you might want for your specific home situation.
- If I Were To Get a Standalone Electric Fireplace, Which Fireplace Has The Most Realistic Fire Effects? – If you are someone that appreciates a realistic, traditional-looking fireplace and you want your electric fireplace to be one of the most realistic electric fireplaces on the market, then you need to make sure to read this section carefully. Here, we talk about the fireplace with the best 3D flame effects and the other features it has as well.
Why Are Electric Fireplaces Better Than Gas or Traditional Wood Fireplaces?
While it is obvious to most people why they should choose an electric fireplace for their home over one that uses wood or gas as its fuel source, some people might still be on the fence about this. In order to point out everything that is great about electric fireplaces, you need to understand the problems that wood and gas fireplaces come with. First, let’s examine wood fireplaces. These are the main types of wood fireplaces that people have:
- Open Hearth – This is the most commonly found fireplace and the one that most people picture in their heads when they hear the word fireplace mentioned. It is an open space for a fire to be built, with ventilation in the form of a flue and chimney.
- Enclosed – This is a fireplace with a gate in front to make the fireplace a little bit more efficient and safer for use in your home.
- Insert – This is a unit that you place into an open-hearth fireplace that allows you to convert it into one that is enclosed.
- Wood Stove – These are commonly found in rural homes or cabins. They radiate heat out of their sides and the top can be used for basic cooking.
- Fire Pit – These are usually in people’s backyards and are used more for a novelty than as a regularly used heating source.
If you choose to use an existing wood fireplace or have a new one built onto your home, here is the long list of issues that you can expect to deal with on a regular basis because of them:
- Wood fireplaces are a leading cause of house fires.
- Wood fireplaces allow smoke and carbon monoxide to enter your home.
- They are a big hassle to use.
- A lot of heat is lost through the chimney ventilation.
- The smell of smoke will always be present in your home.
- The smoke will yellow the walls and furniture over time.
- Hanging a TV above a real fireplace will damage the internal components.
- You need plenty of storage at your home for firewood.
- If you don’t already have one, wood fireplaces are very expensive to build in an existing home and take a lot of time.
One of the nice things about gas fireplaces is that they burn quite a bit cleaner than wood fireplaces. However, they are still very far from being perfect. There are two main types of built-in gas fireplaces:
- Direct Vented – This is a gas fireplace that uses gas that requires ventilation. They usually just use a simple venting pipe rather than a chimney.
- Ventless – This is a fireplace that uses a gas that doesn’t require ventilation, allowing it to have more flexibility in location and installation.
Despite their advantages over wood fireplaces, they still have plenty of disadvantages that you have to worry about:
- You still have an exposed flame that can lead to a house fire.
- Carbon monoxide is still a concern.
- The flame color looks bad, especially with fireplaces that use a gas that produces blue flames.
- The flames are extremely weak. They don’t quite flicker like a real fireplace should and come off more like a series of Bunsen burners.
- If you want to install a gas fireplace in your home, it can be very expensive. You have to have gas lines ran and ventilation in some cases. Installing a gas fireplace will usually require the help of a professional.
Now that you understand the different types of wood and gas fireplaces and the issues that can be found with them, there are quite a lot of electric fireplace types to choose from instead. While some types should be avoided except in rare circumstances, many have their specific uses for your home. Here are the common types of electric fireplaces that you will available to install in your home:
- Flat Wall Fireplace Mantel Package – A mantel package for a flat wall is an electric fireplace that looks the most traditional. These are units that are installed on the floor, up against a flat wall, with a mantel to surround them. The mantels usually come disconnected and need to be connected during installation. This is so that companies can offer several mantel varieties with their fireplaces. It also makes it easier for you to change to a different mantel if you choose to at a later date.
- Corner Fireplace – Functionally, these are really not much different than a standard wall unit. The only difference is that these are designed to fit in a corner.
- Fireplace TV Stand – These are fireplaces built into media stands to help save space.
- Corner TV Stand Fireplace – These are similar to the media stands above, except they are made for the corner of a room.
- Wall Mount Electric Fireplace – These are units that can be hung on a wall by using special mounting brackets to hang them. They can also be partially or fully installed into recessed walls so that the fireplace is flush with the wall.
- Electric Fireplace Insert – This is an insert that can be used to convert a traditional fireplace into an electric one. They can also be used with third-party mantels, or to build your own mantel.
- Freestanding Electric Fireplace Heater – These are basic portable space heaters with some simple flame effects. These should be avoided due to their tacky look and bad performance.
- Electric Fireplace Stove – These look like wood stoves and should only be used if you truly want a cabin in the woods kind of look.
If you get a high end, premium electric fireplace, here are all of the benefits that you can expect from them:
- No Added Fire Risk – Electric fireplaces have nothing burning in them so there is no added risk of a house fire.
- No Harmful Emissions – Since there is nothing burning in them, there is no smoke inhalation or carbon monoxide poisoning that you need to worry about.
- No Staining or Smells – No smoke also means no worry about bad smells or yellowing walls.
- Using it is Easy – Electric fireplaces are easier to use than wood fireplaces since you don’t need to build a fire or maintain it regularly.
- Easy Installing – Installation is easy because you basically just need to place it in a spot near a standard electrical wall outlet.
- Install in Any Room – With an electric fireplace, you aren’t just limited to the main room of your house. You can put one in the dining room, bedroom, home office, and more.
- TV Safe – You can safely mount a TV up above your electric fireplace mantel without any issues at all.
- Heat Efficiency – Electric fireplaces with infrared heaters are very efficient and no heat is lost due to needed ventilation with wood and gas fireplaces.
- Supplemental Zone Heating – For larger homes, you can use multiple fireplaces for zone heating and save more money on your heating bill.
- Remote Control – Electric fireplaces are easy to control with a remote that often comes with them.
- Flame Effect Ambiance – With an electric fireplace that has a realistic holographic flame effect, you can truly capture the feeling of a real fireplace.
Is There a TV Stand, Media Stand, or Entertainment Center To Put TVs Up On In The Living Room That Also Fits an Electric Fireplace?
In most cases, you can use an electric fireplace insert placed into the opening of a TV stand. As long as the blower isn’t blocked, this is safe to do. The upside of doing something like this is that you will save space in your home. Instead of having an electric fireplace unit taking up space, you free that space up by putting the fireplace insert into the media center. That being said, there are some downsides that you need to be aware of:
- It can be difficult to find a TV stand that has an opening with enough space for a high-quality electric fireplace insert. This can mean you have to choose a fireplace insert with a weaker heating device and bad flame effects.
- Taking up space inside of a TV stand like this also means that there is much less space for things like your media devices or your media collection.
If this is the route that you want to go, be sure to find a stand that has an opening with the right dimensions to fit a high-end electric fireplace insert, and that it still leaves enough space for your other media needs. This latter point shouldn’t be an issue if you have a large TV and need a larger stand to support it.
What Are Some Brands of TV Stands With Electric Fireplaces Already Built Into Them?
While you can try to find a TV stand with space for you to fit some kind of electric fireplace insert into it, there are some stands with electric fireplaces already built into it. Keep in mind that these may have worse downsides than finding a media center that will fit a fireplace insert inside of it. This is due to the sacrifices needed for a smaller unit compared to a larger insert, and you will be stuck with the technology provided by the maker of the TV stand.
Some brands that make decent versions of these are things like Boho, Highboy, and Walker Edison. While Walker Edison and these other brands will make a stand that can last, the fireplace technology inside of them may not be quite as reliable as one made by a dedicated electric fireplace company. For this reason, it may be a good idea to look into a standard electric fireplace option and use a normal TV stand.
What Are Some Good Features to Make Sure Are Included With a TV Stand or Entertainment Center That You Put TVs Up On?
Imagine having a bath or a master bathroom where the colors of the towels didn’t properly match the tiles or bath itself. Or the style of your towel rack completely clashes with the style of the faucet. This is why one of the most important features to consider when purchasing a stand to put TVs up on is the style of the stand, and the color. Both of these features go a long way in whether the furniture properly matches the room it is in. You can get a giant entertainment center or something smaller like a transitional or console table. While a transitional or credenza in your dining room might normally be for things like cookware, dinnerware, or bakeware, the storage space in these makes them ideal when used as a media console as opposed to a standard sectional stand. The functionality of them allows for you to put TVs up on them while storing your media collection on the internal shelving. Keep in mind that the style can vary a lot too. You can get mid-century modern or a more farmhouse style with a rustic barn door look.
Material and color are vital. You usually want to go with a real wood TV stand, because things like particle board won’t last nearly as long. They are prone to chipping and the laminate corners peeling and curling after only a short year or two. These will quickly be sent to the curbside, so it is best to invest in a quality, solid wood media cabinet to start with. The color should match the other things in your room like the coffee table, ottomans, armoires, dressers, or even a duvet. You can go with something like darker espresso color, or stick with a bright, solid white color for a more beautiful modern look that makes the room feel bigger.
There are many other features you need to consider. Do you want an open shelf or an enclosed space with a sliding door? Do you need a small space in the center for a cable box or a video game console? Do you need easy accessibility to a media collection with shelves similar to bookcases? Or, instead of bookcases, is a cabinet without your media collection exposed a better fit for you? Regardless of these different feature options, you will want to checkout a stand with good space in the back for cable management. If you have a nice Samsung flat screen and many devices connected to it, you don’t want to spoil the aesthetics with bad wire management. Keep in mind, if you put your TV stand in a room other than the main room, it needs to fit the theme of a room. If you put one in a kid’s room or playroom so that they have a flat-panel TV to watch their kid shows on, it should match the kids furniture they already have in the room. You’d also want a larger storage unit inside for additional toys and games. Additionally, you would want to avoid something like a glass door that can easily be broken.
Is Wall Mounting an Electric Fireplace a Better Option Than Finding a TV Stand That Can Fit an Electric Fireplace and What Are Some Other Options?
While using a TV stand and putting an electric fireplace inside of it might sound like a great way to save space in your room by consolidating two pieces of furniture, there are actually some other alternatives that might be better. These alternatives will still help you save space but without the need of using an electric fireplace that with less than desirable performance. Here are those other options:
- Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace – If you choose to wall mount your electric fireplace or even install it into a recessed wall, you will save quite a bit of walking space. While you can’t directly place anything in front of it, if your main concern is being able to easily walk around, a wall-mounted unit is a great way to go.
- Corner Fireplace – A electric corner fireplace is another great way to save space within your home if that is your main concern. You can get a compact electric fireplace that still functions at a high capacity while still leaving plenty of space for your normal TV stand.
- Standard Flat Wall Electric Fireplace With a TV Mounted Above It – Another wonderful solution is to just get rid of the stand altogether. Instead, install a standard electric fireplace wall mantel unit and mount your TV up above it. If you are someone that streams most of your media and doesn’t need space for a bunch of different devices, this will also help clean up and organize your space. You will be able to make both the fireplace and the TV your focal point without the need to sacrifice the quality of your electric fireplace.
If I Were To Get a Standalone Electric Fireplace, Which Fireplace Has The Most Realistic Fire Effects?
If you are someone that truly cares about having an electric fireplace that properly captures the nostalgia, ambiance, and atmosphere of a traditional wood-style fireplace, then a MagikFlame electric fireplace is what you want to consider getting for your home. Here are the main reasons that customers love MagikFlame fireplaces:
- Holographic 3D Projected Flames – MagikFlame electric fireplaces are known for having the most realistic fireplace flames on the market with their Holoflame technology. With this technology, holographic 3D flames are projected inside of the firebox. These flames flicker and dance, with small embers shooting off of them just like a real fireplace. The flames are projected onto a physical log set for added realism, with an ember bed below it. There are 30 different flames that you can easily switch between, allowing you full control of the mood that you would like to set within your home. The flames are so realistic, that most people that are visiting you at your home will likely not be able to tell the difference between your MagikFlame electric fireplace and a real fireplace that burns wood.
- Crackling Log Sounds – The impressive flame effect visuals of MagikFlame electric fireplaces are further enhanced with the addition of crackling log sounds. As the flames dance around and embers spark off, you can heave the sound of crackling logs to further immerse you into the total fireplace experience. As an added bonus, you can also choose to turn on some relaxing nature sounds as well.
- 5,200 BTU Infrared Heater – While many electric fireplaces have poor heating devices inside of them, this isn’t the case for MagikFlame electric fireplaces. Inside of every MagikFlame is a very powerful and extremely efficient infrared quartz heating device. As cold air is pulled into the MagikFlame, the infrared quartz heater quickly warms the air and then gently pushes it to circulate back into the room through the blower. Because of the infrared quartz coil, this process is almost instantaneous and it uses the least amount of energy necessary to do so. These heaters can easily warm a room of up to 1,000 square feet without any issue. This is the size of most apartments, condos, and small to medium houses. If you are someone that has a much larger house than average, you can still benefit from MagikFlame fireplaces with zone heating. In a zone heating setup, you would get two or more MagikFlame fireplaces for different regions of your home. You would then only turn on a MagikFlame fireplace when people are in that part of the house while leaving doors closed between zones. By doing this, you are actually going to save even more money due to heating smaller areas of the home.
- Smartphone App – A lot of the electric fireplaces on the market use a basic remote control for their electric fireplace. The problem with a regular remote is that just like a TV remote, it is easy to lose in the cracks of your couch, the buttons wear down over time, and you regularly have to change the batteries. With MagikFlame electric fireplaces, you can actually control your fireplace with their smartphone app. This can be installed on your smartphone or even a tablet. With the app, you can turn your fireplace on or off from any room in the house. This means you can turn your fireplace on before you even leave your bedroom in the morning, or turn it off after you are already cozy in your bed. You can also set the temperature, change the fire effects, change the sound, and more.
If you are interested in learning more about MagikFlame fireplaces, the MagikFlame company, and more, please look over some of the following resources:
- MagikFlame Story – MagikFlame has a rich story of how their technology is a result of working on the special effects for big-budget blockbuster movies in Hollywood. Read their story if you would like to know how MagikFlame and their fireplaces came to be.
- MagikFlame Reviews – There is only so much to say about MagikFlame fireplaces. However, hearing testimonials directly from existing customers can say a lot more.
- MagikFlame Electric Fireplace Buying Guide – If you have more questions about electric fireplaces in general, how they work, and what types there are, this buying guide is perfect for you.
- How MagikFlame Is Built – There is no denying the reliability and quality of MagikFlame electric fireplaces after you check out this rundown of how their fireplaces are made and everything that goes into them.
- Payment Plans and Financing – You don’t have to worry that your MagikFlame purchase is going to be a big upfront purchase. With MagikFlame’s excellent financing plans, you can get your MagikFlame fireplace now and allow your heating bill savings to contribute to your payments.
- MagikFlame Warranty – Every great product has a great warranty to back it up, and this is no different with MagikFlame electric fireplaces.