Getting an electric fireplace for your home is a great decision, however, sorting through all of the different electric fireplace types to get one that you want can be a bit of an overwhelming process. It is both a blessing and a curse that there are so many different electric fireplaces for you to choose from. To save space in your home and increase accessibility, people usually choose one of two options: a TV console fireplace built inside the body of it or a wall-mounted electrical fireplace. While an electric fireplace TV stand and a wall-mounted electrical fireplace can both be excellent fireplaces that help you save space in your family room or any other room of your house, each has its distinct advantages and disadvantages.
In this article, we are going to compare these two popular types of electrical fireplaces and why you may or may not want to use them in your home. We will also explore some different electrical fireplace types that might offer a similar solution. Lastly, we will cover what features to look out for when buying electrical fireplaces, and also what brands are worth considering along the way.
TV Console With Fireplace For Entertainment
Here Is Everything You Will Be Able To Learn By Reading This Article:
- Why Are Electric Fireplaces the Best Thing for Your Living Room? – For people that aren’t really sure if an electrical fireplace is the best solution to their home heating needs, this section is here to help. In this part, we are going to break down all of the common benefits that make electric fireplaces easily the smartest choice when it comes to heating your home.
- What Are The Advantages of a TV Console with Fireplace Inside? – Putting your TVs up on an entertainment center, media console, or TV stand console with an electrical fireplace built into it has some specific advantages over other types of electrical fireplaces on the market. Here, we will focus on what sets a fireplace TV console or fireplace entertainment center apart from other electrical fireplaces.
- What Are The Disadvantages of a TV Console with Fireplace Inside? – There are also some disadvantages of a fireplace media console or electric media fireplace. In this section of the article, we will discuss the specific problems that are faced with a piece of furniture that is an entertainment center and a fireplace in one.
- What Are The Advantages of a Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace? – Wall Mounted electrical fireplaces definitely have some different advantages over a TV stand with an electric fireplace. This section will talk about those advantages so that you can judge for yourself if one of these is a better choice over a television stand fireplace.
- What Are The Disadvantages of a Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace? – There are also some disadvantages that a wall-mounted electric fireplace has that will be listed in this section. After reading about all of the advantages and disadvantages of both types of electrical fireplaces, you can decide if a wall-mounted one or a media center electrical fireplace is best for you.
- Can You Mount TVs Up Above a Standard Electric Fireplace? – In this section, we will talk about taking a standard electrical fireplace mantel package for flat walls and mounting flat-screen TVs above them as an alternative to a fireplace built into a TV console with a fireplace.
- Can You Put TVs Up on a Corner Electric Fireplace? – Here we will explore another option over an entertainment center with an electrical fireplace built into it: an electric corner fireplace.
- What Electric Fireplace Features Should I Be Aware Of? – There are many different features and styles to consider when buying any kind of electrical fireplace. This section will talk about the most common types of features, which you might like to match with your home decor, and which features you might want to avoid.
- What Electric Fireplace Brands Are Okay? – If you are considering jumping on Amazon and buying the first generic electrical fireplace that you see on sale, think again. Most people are disappointed when they go this route. Instead, you first need to read this section about fireplace brands and read about brands like Walker Edison, Sargent Oak, Ameriwood, Dimplex, and more.
- Which Electrical Fireplace Has the Best Flame Effects? – If you want an authentic-looking electrical fireplace with a 3D holographic realistic flame, the only real choice is MagikFlame. In this section, we will talk about why MagikFlame is the best possible brand to go with if you can about a more traditional atmospheric experience with your electrical fireplace.
Why Are Electric Fireplaces the Best Thing for Your Living Room?
- No Added Fire Risk – Electrical fireplaces don’t burn anything like a traditional wood style fireplace or even a gas fireplace. This means that you don’t have to worry about any additional danger of a house fire like the extreme fire safety issues of using wood fireplaces in your home.
- No Harmful Emissions – Traditional fireplaces produce smoke and carbon monoxide that gets into your home no matter how many leaves through the chimney. This can be very dangerous to your health, and in large amounts can be deadly. Since electric fireplaces don’t burn anything, they also don’t produce any of these harmful emissions either.
- No Staining or Smells – The smoke from wood fireplaces produces a strong smoky smell that gets in your furniture and lingers in the air. The smoke also will allow some soot to build up on the wall directly above it and start to yellow the walls of the room after some time of use. Electric fireplaces don’t have either of these issues. You don’t have to worry about any smells or staining.
- Using it is Easy – There is a lot of work that goes into maintaining wood fireplaces, building fires, and keeping an eye on them. With electric fireplaces, things are much simpler. After turning on your electrical fireplace, you can freely choose the temperature that you want and go about your day enjoying the warmth. The electrical fireplace does the rest.
- Easy Installing – Installing a fireplace that runs on electricity is a pretty straightforward process most of the time. for your average electrical fireplace, once you find the spot that you want it to go in, you just set it down and plug the fireplace into an electrical outlet that is nearby. After it is plugged in, the fireplace is ready to use.
- Any Room in Your Home – Since they don’t need ventilation, you can install them in any room of your house.
- Heat Efficiency – A good electrical fireplace can easily warm homes of 1,000 square feet and your energy cost will be very low.
- Supplemental Zone Heating – If you have a much larger home that is bigger than 1,000 square feet, you can get another fireplace for a different zone of the house and save even more on your electrical bill by only turning on a fireplace when that area is occupied.
- Remote Control – Electrical fireplaces usually come with a remote or a smartphone app that connects through Bluetooth. With one of these, you can easily turn it on, set the thermostat, choose the effects of the flames, and more.
- Flame Effect That Captures Fireplace Atmosphere and Ambiance – If you get a premium end electrical fireplace, you will likely have some kind of driftwood log set inside of the firebox. Also in the firebox will be an ember bed under the log. If you have wisely chosen an electrical fireplace with holographic flames, you will see them 3D projected onto the physical logs so that it looks just like an actual wood fireplace.
What Are The Advantages of a TV Console with Fireplace Inside?
Getting a fireplace that is also a TV stand has some specific advantages. First of all, you are combining two different furniture pieces into one, saving half the space for other things or just leave more space to get around.
With these combination fireplaces, there are tons of different extra features they come with. You can get ones with all kinds of shelving like open shelves or a media shelf for your cable box, DVD player, and video game console. They also will usually come with side cabinets for storage space. You can have open cubbies or glass doors to show off your media collection on adjustable shelves inside like the shelving in normal bookcases.
You can get these in many different styles. You can make your TV stand-style fireplace modern with bright white color and minimal details. Or you can get a rustic one where the wood media type console looks like it was built from a barn door. You can get a mix and go with a farmhouse fireplace TV stand with modern farmhouse elements to it. If you prefer darker colors you can get something made out of dark walnut wood or with an espresso finish. Keep in mind that espresso looks good if you have furniture that already matches, otherwise you are better off with a lighter, white electrical fireplace to match more of your home in a timeless style.
Some larger stands can hold a TV up to 65 inches. If you need something for a TV that isn’t up to 65 inches but is in fact larger, you may need a more custom solution like putting an electric fireplace insert in another TV stand or getting separate furniture pieces. If you have a TV this size, saving space probably isn’t much of an issue for you regardless.
What Are The Disadvantages of a TV Console with Fireplace Inside?
One of the biggest disadvantages of these units is that by trying to combine both, you have a limited amount of space within the unit to work with. This means you are trying to fit a fireplace underneath, but still leave room for the shelves and cabinets. By trying to do so much in such little space, you are making two vital sacrifices. First, you don’t have nearly as much space for all the shelves that you may need with your TV area. Second, they have to usually put a smaller fireplace unit with a weaker heating device and worse fire effect technology.
Many of these units choose to use poor building materials like engineered wood with laminate on top. The laminate looks fake, to begin with, but then also begins to curl and peel in the corners of it as the glue begins to break down after a year or two.
Lastly, if the fireplace inside of your TV stands breaks, you usually have to replace the entire thing. The same is true if a piece of the stand itself breaks. Having to replace the entire thing when only one-half of it breaks can be a bit of an expensive headache.
What Are The Advantages of a Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace?
Wall-mounted fireplaces allow you to secure an electrical fireplace up on a wall using mounting brackets that are made specifically for this purpose. The mounting brackets are made so that they attach to the studs inside of the wall, or with wall anchor bolts for people with some kind of stone or brick wall instead of standard drywall.
Having a wall-mounted electrical fireplace allows you to free up space below it. You can usually fit a small sideboard or other cabinet-style tables for some additional storage or just to bring the room together.
Mounted fireplaces also have the advantage of being able to install them into a recessed wall. This means they can be in the wall with the front of the fireplace completely flush with the side of the wall. It can also be only partially recessed so that the electrical fireplace sticks out just a bit. Whether you do a full recessed install or a partially recessed install depends entirely on your preferences and the space you have to work with within the wall.
Wall-mounted electrical fireplaces look very modern and unique compared to your more typical fireplaces. You can get them in a variety of widths like a long, linear fireplace that spans the entire length of on of the walls of your home.
What Are The Disadvantages of a Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace?
While wall-mounted electrical fireplaces are really nice, they also have some disadvantages. First, the install is not as easy as a lot of other electrical fireplace installs. With a TV console with a fireplace built into it, it is just a simple piece of furniture you have to set down and plugin. With Wall mounted fireplaces the install is a bit more involved. At the very least you will have to securely mount it using the mounting brackets. If you want to do one that that is installed in a recessed wall, the installation will be a lot more involved and may even require the help of a professional depending on how experienced you are with home improvement projects. On top of the installation, unless you put furniture directly below it or have an outlet behind the fireplace, you will need to wall fish the plug to an electrical outlet location or have an electrician directly wire it into the wall without an outlet.
Another issue with wall-mounted fireplaces is that while there are some that are good, there are also quite a few that have very poor fire effects. They will have strange, bright blue, purple, and red flames played over a 2D LED screen. The best fire effects will always have holographic flames, so if you do choose to wall mount a fireplace, make sure it is one from a company that has these holographic fire effects.
Keep in mind, that because wall-mounted electrical fireplaces are already mounted around eye level rather than being installed at floor level, you can’t really mount a TV above a wall-mounted electrical fireplace.
Can You Mount TVs Up Above a Standard Electric Fireplace?
Yes, if you have a standard electrical fireplace mantel package that is made to be installed on the floor against a flat wall, it is perfectly safe to mount your TV up above the mantel of these units. This is actually a wonderful way to save space and bring the focal point of both the TV and the fireplace into one central area. Because you are getting a better fireplace this way with a better heater and more realistic fire effects, this is actually a better alternative than getting a fireplace that is built into a standard TV stand.
The only downside is that you don’t have easy access to your cable box, DVD player or your DVD collection. Of course, many people these days don’t really use cable boxes or DVD players that much anymore. Most people stream on services such as Netflix. Since Netflix and other streaming apps are built into most modern TVs now, you can actually clean up your TV area with a much more minimalist setup.
Can You Put TVs Up on a Corner Electric Fireplace?
Yes, you can simply put a TV on top of your electrical fireplace that sits in the corner of the room. This is another excellent way to save space because of the smaller unit. Again you won’t have any shelves or cabinets, but if you stream most of your media, this won’t be an issue.
It is important to note that corner fireplaces actually have a bit less space for a TV to go on top of it due to the clearance of the two walls in the corner. Therefore, this solution may not be best for people with very large TVs. The TV wall mounting over a standard electrical fireplace mantel will be a better solution in that case.
What Electric Fireplace Features Should I Be Aware Of?
Here are the main features that you need to focus on when purchasing your electrical fireplace:
- Fireplace Type and Size – When purchasing an electrical fireplace you want to make sure you are getting the type that best fits your specific needs and a size that properly fits the area you will be putting it in. Sizing especially can be an issue, so you need to make sure that you are measuring the area that you have available and comparing it to the dimensions listed for the fireplace you are thinking about getting for your home.
- Fireplace Material – What kind of material is used in making your fireplace will go a long way in how good it looks and how long it lasts. If you are getting a wood mantel fireplace, choose quality, solid wood rather than bad engineered wood like particleboard. Buying a fireplace with cheap materials will mean it won’t look as nice in your home and it won’t last nearly as long. If the manufacturer cut back on the materials just to make the mantel, there are also other cutbacks in the materials and parts used to make them more complex parts of the fireplace.
- Fireplace Color and Style – The color of the fireplace and the style of its design have a lot to do with how it will look in your home and it is vital that you get something that will look good so that you aren’t unsatisfied after installation. Keep in mind that the material you choose will usually place a big part in the color and style that your fireplace has.
- Fireplace Heating Ability – Good electrical fireplaces should be able to sufficiently heat an area of up to 1,000 square feet without working at maximum capacity. This comes out to a heating output of around 5,200 BTUs. If you put a fireplace with too weak of a heating element in your home and try to warm anything more than a small room, it will be working very hard, not warm very well, and still leave you with a high energy bill. On the other hand, if you get a powerful electrical fireplace using something efficient like infrared quartz as its heating element, your home will stay nice and warm with an extremely low heating bill.
- Fireplace Fire Effects – Fire effects are very important if you want a fireplace that doesn’t look tacky and instead captures the proper atmosphere of a real fireplace. If you want to get a fireplace that has flames that look exactly like the real thing, you have to use something with holographic flames like the Holoflame technology found in MagikFlame electrical fireplaces.
What Electric Fireplace Brands Are Okay?
There are several decent brands of electrical fireplaces whether you are getting a standard electrical fireplace, a TV stand version, or one that is wall mounted. Some brands that are decent are Dimplex, Walker Edison, ClassicFlame, Duraflame, Highboy, Sargent Oak, Southern Enterprises, Ameriwood, and a few more. However, it is important to know that different brands tend to specialize in a specific type of electrical fireplace. Before you choose a brand, you need to see which brands make the type of fireplace you want and also have all of the features that you are going to want to be included with it.
Whatever you do, don’t run out and get a cheap generic electrical fireplace. Buyer’s remorse is common with people who get them because of their lousy performance, tacky looks, and the fact that they tend to break after only a year or two of using them. However, if you want the brand that has the highest built quality, the most powerful and efficient heating device, the most realistic holographic flames, and are just beautiful to look at, you need to get a MagikFlame electrical fireplace.
Which Electrical Fireplace Has the Best Flame Effects?
Here are all of the reasons that people absolutely love MagikFlame fireplaces:
- 30 Holographic Flickering Flame Choices – They have 30 different, realistic 3D flickering flames that you can choose between depending on what mood you are in. These flames are holographically projected onto physical logs for full immersion.
- Wood Crackling Sounds – For more added immersion, MagikFlame fireplaces come with the sounds of crackling wood. This way, your fireplace visuals are matched by equally realistic fireplace sounds.
- 5,200 BTU Heater – The infrared fireplace heater inside of MagikFlame has no problem warming a home of 1,000 sq. ft. The infrared quartz heating coil can keep your home warm without using a lot of electricity due to its extreme heating efficiency.
- Smartphone App – In place of the typical controller you might find with most electrical fireplaces, MagikFlame fireplaces come with a smartphone app so that you can easily control all of the features these fireplaces have to offer.
For more information about MagikFlame and their authentic electric fireplaces, check out these pages:
- Learn about the fantastic MagikFlame Story and how these great fireplaces came to be.
- Read thoughtful MagikFlame Reviews from people who have purchased and installed a MagikFlame electrical fireplace.
- Read the Informative MagikFlame Best Electric Fireplace Buying Guide so that you have every detail you need before buying.
- Learn exactly How MagikFlame Is Built and the quality parts that are used to make them.
- You can check out the straightforward Payment Plans and Financing to help get a MagikFlame electrical fireplace in your home right away.
- The complete MagikFlame Warranty will help you feel confident that MagikFlame is the right decision.