Two of the most important focal points of the main room of most people’s homes are the TV and the fireplace. These days, there are quite a lot of people who are choosing to go with an energy-efficient, beautiful electric fireplace in their home. However, it can be difficult to match the right fireplace with the right modern entertainment center or modern TV stand. Do you get a proper electric fireplace wall unit to match your blackwood entertainment center? Do you use an insert or wall mount? What features are important for a good media stand with a modern design?
Whether you have a new home and are working with an architect and home builder, or you are just doing a simple remodel and looking for interior design ideas, this article is here to help you find the right electric fireplace for your entertainment center, media fireplace console, or TV stand.
In The Article That Follows, You Are Going To Have The Following Questions Answered For You:
- Is an Electrical Fireplace the Best Heating Solution For Your Living Room? – While many people reading this article already know that an electrical fireplace is the best solution for them and they are just trying to find out which best fits a black TV stand or media centers, there are some people that really don’t know how far electrical fireplaces have come over the years. In this section, we will give a breakdown of the problems you will face if you want to use wood or a gas fireplace, as well as the massive benefits of choosing an electrical fireplace over one of these other types.
- Is There an Electrical Fireplace Built Into a Black Entertainment Center? – There are some people who like the idea of combining both a fireplace and an entertainment center or TV stand into one single piece of furniture. This section will focus on the combination of an entertainment center or TV stand with an electrical fireplace and the pros and cons of choosing to go this route for your home.
- What Other Electrical Fireplace Types Are There Other Than One Built Into a TV Stand? – If after reading the previous section, you aren’t quite sold on the idea of an electrical fireplace that is directly built into a black-colored TV stand, you might be more interested in some other options that are out there. In this section, we will break down the other electrical fireplace types that will go well with your black TV stand or TV console. Some of these fireplaces are great for better accessibility, while some should be avoided completely.
- What Features and Brands Should I Look For In a Black Entertainment Center? – Whether it is an adjustable shelf, a high gloss surface, or other features that add to the functionality and home decor aesthetics, this section is here to help. We will break down the common features that you should look for in your television stands, whether it is a standalone unit or a fireplace TV stand. We will also cover some of the brands that you might want to take a look at.
- Which Electric Fireplaces Look Best For a Black Entertainment Center? – In this section, we will talk about some of the specific electrical fireplace models that you might want to consider to pair with your black-colored solid wood stand. We will cover a few types, and styles, and why they are the best fit for your home.
- What Is The Most Realistic Electric Fireplace That Is On The Market Today? – If you are thinking about investing in a high-quality electrical fireplace, it is important that you get one of the best units that are out there with the most realistic fire effects. If this sounds like something that you might be interested in, be sure to read this final section.
Is an Electrical Fireplace the Best Heating Solution For Your Living Room?
There are tons of issues that traditional wood fireplaces have. Here are the main types of wood fireplaces:
- Open Hearth
- Wood Stove
- Fire Pit
Here are the issues you can expect from using any wood fireplaces in your home:
- The exposed flame and flammable soot build-up make them a high risk for a house fire.
- Smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide are serious issues in your home.
- Using and maintaining a wood fireplace is a big hassle.
- A huge amount of the heat is lost through the chimney.
- The smoke smell will always be present.
- Smoke may yellow walls and stain furniture.
- You can’t hang a TV above a traditional fireplace due to the damage it will cause.
- You need a lot of space for wood storage.
- Building a new one is a huge project that will take time and a lot of money.
While often a cleaner alternative, gas fireplaces still suffer from some issues. Here are the main types of gas fireplaces:
- Direct Vented
Here are the common problems you can expect using these:
- You still have a flame that is exposed to the interior of your home.
- While smoke isn’t a problem, carbon monoxide still is.
- The flame’s color can be dull, or in some cases, an artificial neon blue.
- The flames are typically quite weak and don’t exactly flicker as a real fireplace does.
- They cost quite a lot to install one and you need a professional’s help.
Modern electric fireplaces have a ton of benefits that make them the easy choice for warming your home. Here are the most common benefits:
- Nothing burns so you don’t have to worry about added house fire risk.
- There is no smoke or carbon monoxide released.
- No smoke means you don’t have to consider smells or stains in your home.
- Using one is as simple as turning it on and forgetting about it.
- In most cases, the installation process of an electrical fireplace is effortless and you can do it yourself without any professional help whatsoever.
- Without any need for ventilation, you can easily install a fireplace in any room of your home, and they are easy to switch rooms if you change your mind later.
- You can safely hang a TV right above an electrical fireplace without any risk of damage to the unit.
- Since most quality electric fireplaces use infrared quartz heaters, you can enjoy your fireplace without worrying about a huge electric bill. These fireplaces use the least amount of energy needed to warm your home and no heat is lost through ventilation.
- Supplemental Zone Heating – If you have an extremely large home with many rooms, you can install multiple fireplaces and only turn them on when that zone is being used, saving a lot more money.
- Remote Control – Electrical fireplaces typically come with a remote or smartphone app to make working your fireplace even easier.
- High-end electric fireplaces that use holographic technology benefit from capturing the true ambiance and atmosphere that you can expect from a real fireplace.
Is There an Electrical Fireplace Built Into a Black Entertainment Center?
Yes, there are quite a few TV stands with a built-in fireplace. You can get one that is built to sit against a flat wall, or you can get a corner TV stand. Some companies specialize in these, although not all companies make ones that come in black.
It is important to note, that while consolidating these two items into one single piece of furniture, there are quite a few trade-offs that you have to consider. Anytime you are combining so much into a limited amount of space, there are going to be sacrifices that will need to be made.
First of all, because you are getting a stand for a flat-screen TV on top, they need to leave plenty of space in the unit for things like shelving or an adjustable shelf like a bookcase. This is how they leave room for media storage, a DVD player, or gaming consoles. Unfortunately, with a bulking fireplace built into the body of the stand, you are left with very little storage space, a little to no storage cabinet, and any open shelves will be limited in size.
Also, because room needs to be left for these features, the fireplace itself needs to be compact. This smaller fireplace size means that they are making quite a lot of sacrifices in its functionality and performance. The fireplaces within these stands tend to have trouble sufficiently heating a home and they have flame effects that leave a lot to be desired. Usually, they are nothing more than some simple LED lights.
Unless you really have your heart set on one of these units, you should really consider getting a standalone electric fireplace that matches your TV stand, rather than getting one built inside of it. If you must have one built-in, instead of buying one that is already inside of it, find a TV stand that has adequate space for a fireplace insert. By doing it this way, you can find a premium insert from a trusted company rather than being stuck with whatever fireplace comes with the stand itself.
What Other Electrical Fireplace Types Are There Other Than One Built Into a TV Stand?
If you want to stay away from a fireplace that is built directly into a TV stand, and instead want a standalone fireplace, here are some other common options that people choose to put in their homes:
- Flat Wall Unit Fireplace Mantel Package – This is the standard unit that looks like a traditional fireplace. These are installed by placing them on the floor, up against the wall, making them appear like they are connected to a chimney on the outside of your home. These usually come with a mantel that is disconnected, making it easier to choose between mantel types or change your mantel if you choose later.
- Corner Fireplace – Functionally, this is no different than the standard unit that is listed above. However, these are redesigned so that their shape fits into the corner of the room and the fireplace itself faces outwards at 45 degrees. These units are great if you need to save a bit more space or if you have a room layout that is a bit more asymmetrical where the corner is a better focal point than a flat wall.
- Wall Mount Electrical Fireplace – These are units that can be hung on your wall using special, strong holding mounting brackets that are attached to the studs within the wall. What’s great about these is that they leave more space below the fireplace, so they are perfect if you want to add a small piece of furniture below it. You can also install these units into a recessed wall, either partially, or completely so that the fireplace sits flush with the wall. Installing these in a recessed wall helps anchor the fireplace as a part of the home while allowing for an interesting modern look. You can even get these in very long linear fireplace designs that can span the length of an entire wall rather than being a standard fireplace size.
- Electric Fireplace Insert – These are inserts that typically go into the opening of your traditional wood fireplaces in order to convert them into one that runs completely on electricity. On top of this, you can use these inserts for a wall recession, place them inside of a large TV stand opening, use them with a third-party mantel, or even build your own mantel from scratch if that is something that you like to do.
- Freestanding Electrical Fireplace Heater – It’s true that many electrical fireplaces are technically freestanding. However, these specific types are talking about ones that are basically just small space heaters that look slightly like a fireplace. Unfortunately, due to the combination of two things in one, both the heating performance and the fire effects suffer in these units. They tend to not last very long and look a bit tacky once they are actually in your home. You should always avoid these. If you need something portable on top of your standard electrical fireplace, just get a high-quality space heater and put it in the closet until it is needed.
- Electric Fireplace Stoves – These are electrical versions of wood stoves. These look very out of place in most homes. You would really only want to consider one of these for extremely rural homes that are going for a country, farmhouse aesthetic, or you are putting them in a small cabin in the woods.
What Features and Brands Should I Look For In a Black Entertainment Center?
There are plenty of features to consider when choosing your entertainment center. Do you want to have a normal stand that looks a bit like a transitional? Do you want one that can easily swivel so that you can see your flat-panel screen from any angle? Do you want a floating TV stand with a more modern home decor look to it?
It’s important to consider the material that it is made out of. A solid, real wood TV stand, will definitely last much longer and look much better than something made out of engineered wood-like particleboard. While the cheaper price of the particle board is enticing at first, it actually will end up costing you a lot more in the long run because you will need to replace your unit after only a year or two when the board begins to chip and the laminate siding peels at the corners.
When it comes to the look of the material, do you want high gloss or matte? The gloss adds some beautiful reflections from a nearby electrical fireplace, however, this can prove to be distracting when watching TV. Do you want a deep black or a more rustic espresso color? If you are going the rustic route, do you want a sliding barn door-style front?
Do you want a glass shelf or one made of wood? Do you need a giant TV stand that can handle your 65-inch TV, or will a smaller size suffice? Do you want built-in soundbars? Do you need adequate space in the back for better wire management?
There are quite a few decent companies that make entertainment centers, both standalone units and ones with electrical fireplaces built into them. These are companies like Furinno, Cabrini, Walker Edison, Ameriwood, Highboy, and more. It’s best to stick with a company that is known for making quality products, rather than going with a generic brand and risking all of the problems that tend to come with generic brands.
Which Electric Fireplaces Look Best For a Black Entertainment Center?
There are three different types of electrical fireplaces that tend to look best when paired with entertainment centers. Here are these types:
- Flat Wall Mantel Package – If you have plenty of space within your home, it is best if you just go with a standard mantel package for a flat wall. This is because you can then have an electric fireplace that is most like a traditional fireplace, adding a lot of atmosphere and aesthetics to the room. MagikFlame’s bestseller the Trinity would be great in this situation.
- Corner Fireplace – If you really need to save some more space within your home then you can go with a corner-style fireplace instead. These can easily fit into the corner of a room so that you can make the TV stand itself the main focus of the room, allowing the corner-style fireplace to be supplemental. A great corner-style fireplace model is the Churchill Corner Fireplace.
- Fireplace Insert – Using an insert is a great way to stay versatile. You can place one into your existing fireplace to convert it, but that’s not all. You can install one of these into a sufficiently large opening within your entertainment center, allowing you to combine both without the need to sacrifice the quality of the fireplace. You can also use one of these inserts with a mantel of your choosing, in case you want to pick up a third-party mantel that better matches the entertainment center that you have. Regardless of what need you to want, MagikFlame has a fireplace insert that is just as powerful and has all the same features as their other models when it comes to heating ability and flame effects.
What Is The Most Realistic Electrical Fireplace That Is On The Market Today?
After reading the previous section, it is no surprise that MagikFlame electric fireplaces are going to be your best bet if you want a premium electric fireplace with the most realistic fire effects. Here are all of the features that you can expect if you get any MagikFlame fireplace:
- 30 Holographic Flame Effects – MagikFlame electric fireplaces boast the most ultrarealistic fire effects on the market due to their unique Holoflame technology. 3D holographic flames are beautifully projected onto a real, physical log set that sits inside of the firebox. These flames look just like the real thing, and most of your guests won’t even come to the realization that you are using an electric fireplace instead of one that burns wood. You can select between 30 different styles of flames, changing the fire to match the mood that you want to set for the room.
- Crackling Log Sounds and Nature Sounds – The visual component of MagikFlame Fireplaces is definitely the star of the show, but here to support it and elevate it even further is the audio enhancement of crackling logs. These crackling log sounds make the realistic flame effects come alive even more. Along with the sounds of a crackling fire, you can optionally play some nature sounds to add even more relaxation and atmosphere to your home.
- Powerful 5,200 BTU Infrared Quartz Heating Device – It’s important that any good electrical fireplace is actually able to heat a home properly. This is not an issue with the powerful and incredibly efficient 5,200 BTU heater inside of every MagikFlame fireplace. This fireplace can easily warm an area of up to 1,000 square feet and will use the least amount of energy needed for it to do so.
- Smartphone App Controller – Getting rid of the old boring remote and replacing it with the intuitive smartphone app is why MagikFlame is always thinking about a better customer experience. With this app that can be installed on your smartphone or even your tablet, you can easily control your fireplace from anywhere within your home. You can turn it on before you get in that room, set the temperature, change the audio and visual effects, and more.