Finding the perfect electric fireplace to be the main focus of a room in your house can be a fun and challenging adventure. There are plenty of bad electric fireplaces out there, but there are quite a few higher end luxury versions as well. In this guide below, we are going to tackle a lot of the topics surrounding luxury electric fireplaces, types, brands, models, and how the technology inside works. If you are inclined to take the role as the architect of home design and need the perfect electric fireplace to do so, then this guide is for you.
Below Is an Entire List of Questions We’ll Cover In This Guide:
- What Problems Are Present When Using a Wood-Burning Fireplace and Even a Cleaner Gas Fireplace That Uses Natural Gas, Propane, or Ethanol? – We dig deep into some of the issues that you’ll experience with making a fireplace that burns wood or gas your primary fireplace.
- Why Are Realistic Electric Fireplaces a More Successful Solution Over Wood Fireplaces or Gas? – In comparison to traditional fireplaces, we explore several of the advantages of choosing electric fireplaces as the primary fireplace in your home.
- Regardless of Brands, What Are The Main Electric Fireplace Variations You Can Acquire To Put In a Brand New Home or Home Remodel Project? – There are a good number of different electric fireplace varieties and we explore those in this section of the article.
- Is a Generic Electric Fireplace Good Enough If The Price Is Right Or Should You Solely Focus On Getting a Luxury Electric Fireplace From a High End Brand? – We explain the differences between cheap, generic fireplaces and luxury fireplaces when it comes to long term enjoyment and even long term costs associated with them.
- How Are Modern Flames Produced By Different Electric Fireplace Models and Which Modern Flames Have a Flame Effect That Looks The Most Similar To a Real Flame Inside a Fireplace That Burns Wood? – The different methods that electric fireplaces utilize to create visual effects are explored in this section.
- Does a Firebox With a Log Set Displayed Physically Inside of It Help The Electric Fireplace Look More Like a Real Fire? – Adding realism with additional physical elements are talked about here.
- Does an Electric Fireplace With a Multicolor Versatile Flame Effect Have Trouble Looking Like a Realistic Flame or Should an Electric Fireplace Only Use an Authentic Looking Flame Color? – We take a look at colors when it involves flames and how realistic that they could appear.
- Does a Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace or Recessed Electric Fireplace Have a Traditional Fireplace Look In The Living Room or Is It More of a Modern Electric Fireplace Styling? – Here we examine the look of recessed fireplaces that are wall hung, and talk about how that affects how traditional they actually look.
- What Are The Benefits of Using an Electric Fireplace Insert Inside of an Existing Fireplace Firebox That Burns Wood? – For people that already have a fireplace that burns wood, this section is all about conversions using electric inserts.
- What Are The Features That Come With a Luxury Electric Fireplace Like The Dimplex Opti-Myst, Dimplex Revillusion, or Dimplex Opti-V? – We highlight some of the models and features of this brand of fireplace.
- What Are The Features That Come With an Electric Fireplace Made By Napoleon? – Yet another brand is covered in our examination of electric fireplaces.
- What Are The Features That Come With a Linear Electric Fireplace Such as the Touchstone Sideline? – One more brand and model of electric fireplaces is put under the spotlight in this section.
- Can You Get a High Quality Electric Fireplace With Modern Flames That Uses a Touch Screen Device Like a Smartphone or Tablet Instead of a Remote Control To Change Thermostat Heat Settings and Flame Effects Settings? – Within this part, we’ll explore alternatives to traditional remotes in regards to controlling your fireplace.
- Which High End, Luxury Electric Fireplace Brand Produces Dancing Flames That Look The Most Realistic? – This last part brings it all together and recommends the luxury fireplace that very easily has the most ultra realistic flames.
What Problems Are Present When Using a Wood-Burning Fireplace and Even a Cleaner Gas Fireplace That Uses Natural Gas, Propane, or Ethanol?
To begin with, here are your normal wood fireplaces found in houses:
- Open Hearth Type
- Enclosed Style Fireplace
- Enclosed Insert To Convert Open Hearth
- Old Fashioned Wood Stove
- Outdoor Fire Pit
Even though these common types have a lot of tradition behind them, they have issues that make them not worth it:
- Fire Safety – Soot combined with exposed flames make them a big fire hazard.
- Harmful Emissions – They produce carbon monoxide, smoke, and other contaminants.
- Hassle To Use – Trying to use these are lot of work, both in daily use and to maintain them.
- Heat Loss Problem – Chimneys result in heat loss.
- Smell – The smoke produced causes a bad smell in your house.
- Stains – Smoke also will stain your walls yellow after awhile.
- TV Damage – It is pretty unfortunate that you can’t hang TVs above them because smoke and heat will break the TV.
- Wood Storage – You’ll need a large space for wood storage.
- Expensive For You To Build – Big wood fuel fireplaces are one of the most expensive projects for fireplace types.
Some people know wood style fireplaces are problematic and opt for one of these common types of gas fireplaces instead:
- Direct Venting
After they purchase one of those fireplace though, they tend to regret their decision because of all of these complications:
- Flame That Burns Is Exposed – Even gas fireplaces are a fire hazard just like wood ones.
- Carbon Monoxide – This harmful emission is still produced to a degree.
- Ugly Fire Color – Flames look ugly because of neon bright colors or dull natural colors.
- Weak Flame – The fire streams tend to be weak and lack flickering.
- Costly Installation – They are still quite expensive since a professional has to help.
Why Are Realistic Electric Fireplaces a More Successful Solution Over Wood Fireplaces or Gas?
Electric fireplaces are better than gas and wood for these reasons:
- They Don’t Pose an Extra Fire Risk – Since there is no flame, this means they aren’t a huge fire hazard.
- No Harmful Emissions – No burning means they are free of contaminants.
- Lacks Smoke Staining or Smoke Smells – Because they’re smokeless, no stains or smells.
- Super Easy To Use – They are very simple to use.
- Easy Installing – A home builder or contractor won’t need to install your electric fireplaces in most cases because they are easy to do yourself.
- Apartments and Condos – You aren’t limited to houses and you can also use them in rental properties.
- Any Room – Freely put them in any room you want to.
- TV Safe – No heat or smoke will rise and break your expensive TV above it. Any heat produced is blown out into the room rather than rising directly upward.
- Heat Efficiency – Due to infrared heating, they are very efficient with energy.
- Supplemental Strategy For Zone Heating – What zone heating means is you can warm big houses and still keep a lower bill for heating.
- Remote Control – They will have some remote control or other way to control it without getting up.
- Many Styles To Match Home Decor – You can find ones that fit any style of home decorating.
- Flame Effect Ambiance – The ambiance of real fireplaces can perfectly be captures when you use higher end fireplaces with fire effects that are more realistic.
Regardless of Brands, What Are The Main Electric Fireplace Variations You Can Acquire To Put In a Brand New Home or Home Remodel Project?
Below you’ll find the average types of fireplaces that run on electricity and some information about them:
- Fireplace Mantel Package – The most traditional and one that is a solid choice.
- Corner Fireplace – Good because they function just as well but are built for corners to save space.
- TV Stand Fireplace – Performance can be mixed because of the small fireplace space.
- Corner Area Entertainment Stand Fireplace – Similar to the previous example, buy with caution.
- Wall Mount Electric Fireplace – Perfect for mounting to the studs in the wall.
- Electric Fireplace Insert – Great for converting old fireplaces or creating a custom mantel surround.
- Freestanding Standalone Fireplace Portable Heater – If you get one of these freestanding units, you’ll likely be disappointed. Their heating ability is limited, and their fire visuals tend to look bad. These don’t really ever come as a luxury unit and you should stay away from them.
- Fireplace Stove – A fireplace stove that is electric is the kind that is trying to give you the look and feel of a traditional wood stove that you commonly find in cabins and some farmhouses.
Is a Generic Electric Fireplace Good Enough If The Price Is Right Or Should You Solely Focus On Getting a Luxury Electric Fireplace From a High End Brand?
There is a reason generic electric fireplaces can be found on sale so often: they aren’t very good. The real truth, that buying generic when involving the purchase of electric fireplaces for your home is likely going to cost you more money in time than simply getting a higher quality luxury brand to begin with.
First of all, the fireplace itself won’t perform nearly as well as fireplaces that are higher end. Because these units don’t perform as well, it will actually use a lot more electricity to heat an area, and it often won’t even heat it as well as a quality fireplace that uses less electricity. Those heating bills can add up over time and having a high end fireplace system that is efficient with electricity is important.
Secondly, the build quality and parts used for generic fireplaces is very often lacking to save money on the build costs. Because of this, the fireplace itself will not last nearly as long as luxurious fireplaces. Your fireplace will need to be repaired, or may even need to be replaced, only a quick year or slightly longer after purchasing it if you use it frequently. This isn’t an issue with luxury fireplaces. Their higher build quality along with the parts used to make it ensure that luxury fireplaces last much longer. They aren’t going to need repairs for a significantly larger amount of time.
Finally, most people buy generic fireplaces online or from the picture on the box at the store and once it is actually installed in their home, they aren’t happy with it. This means that they are likely to want to buy a new one simply because they don’t like the one that they already bought. If they bought it when it was on sale, it is unlikely that they will be able to return it.
If you are in the market for an electric fireplace, it will actually save you money over the course of ownership if you make the decision to increase your budget to fit luxury fireplace options. These top tier fireplaces will warm your home better, use less electricity, will last longer, and you’ll fall in love with how it looks in your home.
How Are Modern Flames Produced By Different Electric Fireplace Models and Which Modern Flames Have a Flame Effect That Looks The Most Similar To a Real Flame Inside a Fireplace That Burns Wood?
Low end models are notorious for having flames that are created by almost primitive methods in comparison to higher end models. Some of the worse models just have some transparent colored windows with light bulbs that flicker behind them. Others that are still bad create their flames by having LED lights that are on spinning mechanical wheels to halfheartedly simulate a flicker.
Once you start getting into brand names, you might find some with an LED flame on a screen, but it is 2D. These are usually quite fake looking due to their uniform row of flames and weird colors. Some brands may even have a looped video of an actual fireplace playing on a screen. However, even this can still look flat and two dimensional. Some of these electric fireplaces that have 2D effects can be considered luxury models depending on the brand and specific model.
If you really want to get into realistic luxury models, you need to look at ones that have a 3D effect. Walking around a fireplace showroom, you may see many that attempt this, but some are definitely better than others. Some brands will create their 3D flames by projecting light onto water vapor. This will usually look better than any 2D flames.
For the absolute top tier of realistic flames, you need to get a fireplace that has Holoflame technology found in MagikFlame fireplaces. These produce 3D holographically projected flames onto logs that physically sit in the fireplace. These flames look ultra realistic compared to any other electric fireplaces, and it is the first choice for anyone that wants complete and utter realism. This is why so many people consider electric fireplaces with holographic flames the best electric fireplace you can get.
Does a Firebox With a Log Set Displayed Physically Inside of It Help The Electric Fireplace Look More Like a Real Fire?
Not only does having a fireplace with physical artificial logs inside of it help make it look much more authentic and traditional, but fireplaces with these in general tend to have flames that also look more realistic.
On top of using logs within electric fireplaces like this, many of the best electric fireplace models also have an artificial ember bed below the logs in the electric firebox that glows when the fireplace is on. All of these different elements come together to allow these fireplaces to give your home a much more authentic experience compared to lower end fireplaces without all of these extra little details.
Does an Electric Fireplace With a Multicolor Versatile Flame Effect Have Trouble Looking Like a Realistic Flame or Should an Electric Fireplace Only Use an Authentic Looking Flame Color?
A multicolor flame is fine if it is capable of simulating the colors of actual fire. Additionally, it is important if there is a strong flame brightness that comes along with them. Having a better glow helps add the inviting atmosphere that so many people associate with traditional types of fireplaces.
Now, when you get into color options that include things like neon blue, pink, and more, things get a little weird. While the customer is always right in matters of taste, it is important to know that more often than not these colors tend to look tacky if you want a more traditional interior design style. Of course, if you have an interior designer that has set you up with brighter, bold colors throughout your home, then some of these less authentic colors might actually compliment your home. In the end, just remember that these bright neon colors take away from people that want a traditional fireplace experience, and many people that choose to go with these colors anyway often regret it much later.
Does a Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace or Recessed Electric Fireplace Have a Traditional Fireplace Look In The Living Room or Is It More of a Modern Electric Fireplace Styling?
While there are plenty of versions that are for mounting on the wall or build into recessions in the wall that have traditional looks and feels to them, they are clearly different than your traditional open hearth fireplace. For many people, this may not be an issue. For some, you want your fireplace to look as much as an open hearth style fireplace as you possibly can. If that is your choice, then you may want to look for fireplaces that are installed on the floor with a mantel surround around it. These are the fireplaces that visually appear very traditional, and you can still get a clean and modern look from an electric fireplace with the right mantel choice.
What Are The Benefits of Using an Electric Fireplace Insert Inside of an Existing Fireplace Firebox That Burns Wood?
The biggest benefit of using an insert to convert your old fireplace that burns wood is that you aren’t wasting the fireplace space that is already there. If it is a beautiful open hearth style fireplaces that is made for burning wood, there is no need to buy a completely new fireplace with a mantel and everything. Instead, use a luxury fireplace insert to secure it inside of your old fireplace and now it will be an electric one.
If you still want to do some remodeling to your fireplace after using an insert, go for it. Clean up the brick or stone if that’s what it uses. Sand down and refinish the mantel if you want. Or tear it down and install or custom build a new mantel. There are plenty of options when it comes to working with transforming your old fireplace. By doing so, you don’t let it go to waste and save yourself some work in the process.
What Are The Features That Come With a Luxury Electric Fireplace Like The Dimplex Opti-Myst, Dimplex Revillusion, or Dimplex Opti-V?
This brand has several different models and one of their most popular is the Opti-Myst fireplace. The Opti-Myst creates flames by projecting lights onto streams of water vapor. Because the vapor moves and flickers a little, it helps the light move with it and simulate flickering.
They also have the Opti V and Revillusion models that use slightly different technology to create their flames. Really, the biggest differences between their models is the style of flames that you personally like and you would have to see examples of them to choose for yourself.
What Are The Features That Come With an Electric Fireplace Made By Napoleon?
This is a company that makes many different models of fireplaces that use different fuel types. They have wood, gas, and electric fireplaces and many models of each type. The problem with this is that they are trying to do too much instead of specializing on one.
Unfortunately, the fact that they are spreading themselves too thin shows in the quality of their electric fireplaces. The flames of many have strange, neon colors and each fireplace looks very fake. While not all electric fireplaces have to look completely realistic for them to be enjoyable, many of their electric fireplaces are bordering on looking cheap and tacky. There is no point in spending so much on luxury fireplaces if the fire itself looks so fake that it seems tacky.
It is best to focus on companies that specialize in only electric fireplaces. You can be sure that the people who work in the company have quality in mind and know what goes into making a beautiful and luxurious fireplace to put inside of your home.
What Are The Features That Come With a Linear Electric Fireplace Such as the Touchstone Sideline?
This brand focuses specifically on linear fireplaces, or wide inch electric fireplace designs that are usually built into recessed walls. If you have a very wide area and want a fireplace to run the course of the wall, this can be something you might be interested in. However, the big problem you’re facing with this model is that the flames are the LED screen variety. They look 2D, very uniform, and fake. There are color options to make the flames look more real, or sometimes add some extra colors as well. While the long fireplace design might interest some people, if you care about realism with your flames, you’re going to want to avoid this brand and model.
Can You Get a High Quality Electric Fireplace With Modern Flames That Uses a Touch Screen Device Like a Smartphone or Tablet Instead of a Remote Control To Change Thermostat Heat Settings and Flame Effects Settings?
Yes, there are some high end companies that make fireplaces with an application can be installed on your phone or tablet. This is really useful in modern times when everyone has their phone with them or even a tablet they have hooked up to a smart home system. It helps free up clutter in your home by not needing an extra remote to be set on your coffee table or side table.
For companies that offer these applications, you can usually control the fireplace from anywhere within your house instead of you having to have line of sight of the fireplace like typical remotes. This means if you have a fireplace in your main room, when you wake up you can turn that fireplace on a few minutes before you step out of the bedroom so that it is warm before you even leave the room. Additionally, if you installed a fireplace inside of your bedroom, you can turn it on a few minutes before you go to bed. This allows the room to get nice and cozy before you turn in for the night. Good applications that control fireplaces, like the ones that control MagikFlame fireplaces, will have large graphic buttons. This makes them fairly intuitive and easy to use. With these apps you can turn your fireplace on, turn your fireplace off, set your temperature to whatever you most prefer, change settings of the flames, and other features that the fireplace might come with.
Which High End, Luxury Electric Fireplace Brand Produces Dancing Flames That Look The Most Realistic?
If you are in the market for a luxury fireplace, and you want the one with flames that look the most authentic and realistic, you need a MagikFlame fireplace. MagikFlame has several aesthetically pleasing models to choose from that fit many different home decorating styles. In addition, if you have an old fireplace you need to convert to electric, or you want to come up with your own custom mantel surround solution, they offer an insert that has the exact same functionality as all of their other models.
No matter which you choose, here is what you get:
- 3D Ultra Realistic Moving Fire Effects – Without a doubt, MagikFlame fireplaces have the best flames because of their Holoflame technology. This technology means that holographic flames move around while being 3D projected inside of the fireplace, right over authentic looking logs. The flames look like the real thing, they move, flicker, and spark embers just like the real thing too. There are 30 styles of ultra-realistic fire effects that come with each MagikFlame fireplace.
- Crackling Log Sounds – Visual realism is impressive in MagikFlame fireplaces but it is taken to a whole new level with the realistic sounds as well. Through MagikFlame fireplaces you can hear the sounds of logs crackling as if they were real burning logs. This adds so much depth and atmosphere to the experience. Between these auditory enhancements and the visuals, you shouldn’t be surprised if your guests see your fireplace and think it is actually burning wood.
- 5,200 BTU Coil Heater Using Infrared Technology – The electric fireplace heater inside has the heat output required to warm areas of 1,000 square feet. This is enough for most homes. If you happen to have a home that is extremely large and exceeds 1,000 square feet, you can use more than one fireplace to heat your home in zones when they are occupied. This will allow you to keep a low heating bill even in larger spaces.
- Smartphone App – Use your touchscreen device such as a phone or tablet so that you can easily control your fireplace without getting up from the couch. The app is very easy to use and you don’t need to regularly change the batteries in yet another remote.
If you’re considering getting a MagikFlame fireplace as the luxury fireplace for your home, then some of these additional resources may prove useful to you:
- MagikFlame Story: Knowing where the technology for MagikFlame fireplaces came from is an exciting story.
- MagikFlame Reviews: Finding out exactly what real customers are saying about their own MagikFlame fireplace can help you decide for yourself.
- How MagikFlame Is Built: Discovering how MagikFlame fireplaces are made will allow you to feel confident when you make your purchase.
- Payment Plans and Financing: Checking out these financing options may help you get your MagikFlame fireplace sooner than you think.
- MagikFlame Warranty: Know MagikFlame fireplaces come with a full warranty means that you can claim a fireplace without worry.