There is no replacement for a good fireplace to complete your backyard decorations. Having a strong fireplace not only looks great, but it can help your family or guests keep warm if you are entertaining during some of the chillier months of the year. Of course, some outdoor fireplaces are better for certain backyards than others, so how do you know which one to choose?
For the article below, we’re discussing everything you might want to know about your outdoor fireplaces. We’ll answer many questions about certain types, materials, safety, and also provide you with plenty of ideas so you can upgrade your own backyard.
The Questions That Are Thoroughly Answered In The Post Are All Listed Right Here For You:
- What Is an Outdoor Fireplace, Backyard Fireplace, or Fire Pit and What Kind of Outdoor Fireplace Kits You Can Get For a Home’s Outdoor Living Space? – Clearly defining exactly what fireplaces are for your outdoor spaces, and the different varieties there are to choose from.
- Can You Get an Outdoor Fireplace, Backyard Fireplace, Fire Pit, or Chiminea That Is a Wood Burning Outdoor Fireplace? – Speaking a bit about backyard fireplaces that are more traditional and burn wood to produce heat.
- Can You Get an Outdoor Fireplace, Backyard Fireplace, or Fire Pit That Is a Gas Fireplace Using Propane, Natural Gas, or Other Gas Fuel Types For an Outdoor Gas Fireplace? – Highlighting some gas types of backyard fireplaces and their differences.
- Is Propane Gas Worth It If You Have To Swap Out Tanks Frequently? – The Good and The Bad regarding this type of gas for your backyard fireplaces.
- How Similar Is Landscaping For an Outdoor Living Area To Interior Design or Home Decor For a Living Room and How Do Outdoor Fireplace Ideas or Design Ideas Matter When It Comes To Creating a Built-In Focal Point? – Comparing and contrasting design principles and ideas between interior and exterior areas of a home.
- Since You Need To Speak With an Architect To Build a House, or Consult With an Interior Designer To Decorate It, Is There an Equivalent Professional To Help With Outdoor Fireplace Designs For Your Outdoor Spaces? – Discussing the possibility of finding a professional to help you design your backyard layout.
- Does a Home Builder Need To Be Called In Order To Build an Outdoor Fire Pit, a Modern Style Fire Pit Table, or Other Fire Feature as The Centerpiece of Your Backyard Patio or Outdoor Patio Area? – Some installs can be difficult, but this section talks about whether you can possibly build or install one yourself.
- Can You Build a Wood Fire Stone Fireplace That Works Like an Outdoor Pizza Oven in Your Outdoor Kitchen and Is This Oven a Good Source of Heat In Some of The Year’s Cold Months? – Interested in outdoor cooking? This section will be very important for the culinary minded.
- Is a Tabletop Gas Fire Unit a Good Source of Heat To Warm Up Guests or Is Something Like This Just a Novelty Item? – All about smaller units that can be used on top of a table instead of larger fireplaces.
- What Is The Difference Between Lava Rocks and Fire Glass When Put in a Fire Bowl and Do They Require Cleaning and Maintenance? – We discuss these common accessories, how they look, and what work is required to take care of them.
- Are Materials Like Stainless Steel Better for Fireplaces in Outdoor Areas? – Discussing the choice of material when it comes to fireplaces that have been constructed with the outdoors in mind and will be exposed to the elements.
- Does a Patio Fireplace or Other Patio Heaters Need To Be Placed On Hard Services Like Pavers, Concrete, Brick, or Stucco? – Where you place your fireplace matters and this section talks about the foundational area of backyard fireplaces.
- Do You Need Things Like Fireplace Tools, a Spark Screen, Skewers To Roast S’mores, or Other Accessories For Your Outdoor Heating Unit? – We talk a bit more about the details of some accessories you might want depending on the fireplace you have.
- Is It Safe To Have a Pergola Near Fireplaces In The Backyard and How Close Can They Be? – Safety will be explained here in regards to any kind of fireplaces for your backyard that have exposed flames.
- Is a DIY Backyard Remodel With a Fireplace in Your Current Home Difficult or Should You Only Do It Yourself If You Just Got a New Home Without Current Backyard Features? – If you want to do it by yourself, is it easier when you’ve moved into a new place with an empty yard or easier to redo the yard you already have?
- Is a Fireplace You Install Outside in Your Backyard The Greatest Choice For Your Residence or Is an Interior Fireplace Better? – What kinds of fireplaces are better for residences in the long run, interior or exterior? This section explains the difference between the two.
- Why Is a Deluxe Electric Fireplace The Best Type of Fireplace To Use For Your Interior Space and What Benefits Are There Over A Typical Wood Fireplace or Modern Gas One? – Only one fuel type is best for interior spaces, and this section will show all of the reasons why.
- There are So Many Choices When Looking For Specific Varieties and Categories of Electric Fireplaces, Which Types Are Best? – Regardless of the company that makes it, certain types will usually be better than others and this highlights which those are.
- If Someone Were To Install a Fireplace That Is Electric Within The Interior of Their Home, Which Brands Is The Most Impressive When Fire Effects Are Concerned? -If you want the top brand of elite electric fireplaces, here is your chance to find out what it is.
What Is an Outdoor Fireplace, Backyard Fireplace, or Fire Pit and What Kind of Outdoor Fireplace Kits You Can Get For a Home’s Outdoor Living Space?
Outdoor fireplaces are really just any kind of heating element that are used with your outdoor spaces like your backyard. These can be large, robust ones that are made from stone and burn wood, or smaller modern tables with gas flames in them. The large variety of different types is really what makes them special and easy to find one right for you.
Can You Get an Outdoor Fireplace, Backyard Fireplace, Fire Pit, or Chiminea That Is a Wood Burning Outdoor Fireplace?
Yes, fireplaces that you would use to burn wood are actually a very common type for outdoor spaces. This is because wood puts off smoke and some other harmful emissions when burned. Luckily, with the open sky above you, this isn’t really an issue. In fact, many of the complications and dangers of wood fireplaces in your home aren’t a problem when they are outdoors.
Can You Get an Outdoor Fireplace, Backyard Fireplace, or Fire Pit That Is a Gas Fireplace Using Propane, Natural Gas, or Other Gas Fuel Types For an Outdoor Gas Fireplace?
Yes there are many varieties of these different gas fireplaces that use different gases. Some use tank and some need gas lines installed that hook up the gas utilities in your home. Gas usually will burn quite a bit cleaner than wood and you don’t need to concern yourself with smoke blowing in someone’s face when people are sitting around the fireplace.
Is Propane Gas Worth It If You Have To Swap Out Tanks Frequently?
Propane-style gas fireplaces are good if you care about gas that burns even cleaner and is also more efficient than the typical gas that connects up with your home utilities. The downside is they do require you to swap out tanks as needed. This can be frequent if you use your fireplace a lot or only once or twice a year if you use your fireplace less frequently. If you decide to pick this gas, make sure the fireplace you get conceals the tanks because they can be an eyesore. If the tanks aren’t already concealed, get a tank cover for it that matches your backyard style.
How Similar Is Landscaping For an Outdoor Living Area To Interior Design or Home Decor For a Living Room and How Do Outdoor Fireplace Ideas or Design Ideas Matter When It Comes To Creating a Built-In Focal Point?
In many ways it is quite similar. Your fireplace is going to be the focus of your backyard in many cases, just like it tends to be the focus for indoor spaces as well. Additionally, it’s critical to be sure the fireplace you end up installing inside your backyard fits the overall style of your outdoor spaces just like a fireplace inside needs to match the style of the room that it is in. Also, just like interior spaces, you have to consider your surroundings when considering safety, functionality, and the ability for people to move around freely.
Since You Need To Speak With an Architect To Build a House, or Consult With an Interior Designer To Decorate It, Is There an Equivalent Professional To Help With Outdoor Fireplace Designs For Your Outdoor Spaces?
There are professionals that can help you if you really think you need it. There are people that specialize in both landscape and hardscape design. Take note that their expertise usually doesn’t come cheap. However, if you hired one, they might be able to do an excellent job giving you the best backyard in the neighborhood. Your backyard will certainly be amazing for relaxing with your family or hosting some friends. On another thought, you might want to just try and come up with your own design and install everything yourself. It can be a really fun challenge and there are so many amazing tutorials and resources online to help you along the way.
Does a Home Builder Need To Be Called In Order To Build an Outdoor Fire Pit, a modern style Fire Pit Table, or Other Fire Feature as The Centerpiece of Your Backyard Patio or Outdoor Patio Area?
It really depends on the fire pit table, fireplace, or other unit you get and your own level of expertise. If you are used to doing some work with your hands and can handle basic jobs when it comes to improvement, there is a good chance that it will be something that you can realistically handle. Check the specific instructions of the fireplace you are planning to buy and you can verify if you’re up for the task. You can even do a search on YouTube and see an installation of a similar fireplace being done.
Can You Build a Wood Fire Stone Fireplace That Works Like an Outdoor Pizza Oven in Your Outdoor Kitchen and Is This Oven a Good Source of Heat In Some of The Year’s Cold Months?
Not only can you build something like this, but it is such a fun way for you and your family to cook some of the most delicious pizza you can make at home. Keep in mind, even though you can build a stone style oven that burns wood for baking pizzas, bread, or whatever else you want to use it for, they aren’t necessarily that great when used as an actual fireplace. This is caused by the fact that ovens are designed to retain as much heat as they can. They aren’t really designed to radiate heat into the surrounding area and keep people warm. If you do choose to build a fun oven like this, consider adding an extra fireplace element as well.
Is a Tabletop Gas Fire Unit a Good Source of Heat To Warm Up Guests or Is Something Like This Just a Novelty Item? It is really unfortunate, but these smaller fireplaces built to go on a table aren’t really that great of fireplaces. They can be fun to look at in place of candles or something similar, but they aren’t going to put off any significant amount of heat. If you just have a few people eating a meal at an outdoor table, they can work as a fun novelty and might even help keep that small area warm. But, if you want to seriously warm an area for an outdoor gathering, you’ll want to install a larger and more substantial fireplace to get the job done.
What Is The Difference Between Lava Rocks and Fire Glass When Put in a Fire Bowl and Do They Require Cleaning and Maintenance?
These are both fantastic if you have a table or fire bowls to display them. The main difference is that the rocks look much more natural and often have a neutral or darker earthy color to them. Glass, on the other hand, is semi transparent and colorful. The glass beads reflect and refract light from the hot moving flames, giving a fun colorful glow. The rocks will be a more traditional and subtle look, while the glass will be a more contemporary or modern look. Both will need to be cleaned from time to time. Glass will need it more often because dirt and grime is much more noticeable.
Are Materials Like Stainless Steel Better for Fireplaces in Outdoor Areas?
There are many materials that are just fine, however this kind of steel certainly has the added benefit of not rusting when exposed to elements like rain or snow. It is also very durable and easy to clean. Of course, aesthetics matter a lot and steel may not be the right choice for everyone visually. If you do choose a material that isn’t as weather resistant, just make sure to get a cover for your fireplace and keep it protected from snow and rain when you aren’t using it. Many fire pits actually have rain covers that are built to fit them perfectly.
Does a Patio Fireplace or Other Patio Heaters Need To Be Placed On Hard Services Like Pavers, Concrete, Brick, or Stucco?
For any fireplace of a substantial size and weight, you’re going to want to put it on a hard, strong surface that isn’t flammable. This means surfaces like concrete, brick, a paver arrangement, or something similar is going to be the best flat foundation for your fireplace. If you have something like a wood deck, you really need to be careful. Not only can the wood from the deck prove to be too weak for the heavy weight of many backyard fireplaces, but it is also a fire hazard if any embers spark off the fireplace.
Do You Need Things Like Fireplace Tools, a Spark Screen, Skewers To Roast S’mores, or Other Accessories For Your Outdoor Heating Unit?
The accessories you get will depend on the specific fireplace you buy for your backyard, as well as the needs of you and your family. If you like to roast marshmallows, some dedicated skewers will be perfect to make smores. If your fireplace is one that burns wood, then you will need some kind of screen to protect the surrounding area from sparking embers. Also for wood backyard fireplaces, a set of fireplace tools is a great idea. You should get a set that matches your backyard decor and keep it readily nearby. You are also able to get a nice looking storage box nearby to neatly hold all of your additional accessories.
Is It Safe To Have a Pergola Near Fireplaces In The Backyard and How Close Can They Be?
Just like a wood deck, you have to be really careful whenever you have flames near wood structures due to the higher chance of a fire spreading. It’s because of this fact, if you desire to place a fireplace under one of these structures, make sure there is adequate distance between the flames and any post of the structure. Also important, you should use outdoor fireplaces under one of these structures if the top is covered. This will let smoke and carbon monoxide build up which can be very hazardous to your health. Instead, make sure it is uncovered, or that there is at least enough open space in the roof of the structure for proper ventilation.
Is a DIY Backyard Remodel With a Fireplace in Your Current Home Difficult or Should You Only Do It Yourself If You Just Got a New Home Without Current Backyard Features?
If the backyard is completely bare because you’ve recently purchased a home, this can be easier in many cases. But, it can also be hard because you have less of an idea of how to start with so much blank space. Remodeling an existing backyard does take a bit more work. This is because you need to incorporate elements you already have, and remove anything you don’t want there anymore. So, while the actual labor may be less for new homes, remodeling existing backyards where you live can be just as easy and it shouldn’t stop you from trying.
Is a Fireplace You Install Outside in Your Backyard The Greatest Choice For Your Residence or Is an Interior Fireplace Better?
Outdoor fireplaces are fun, but the truth is, you’re going to get so much more out of interior fireplaces. Outdoor fireplaces you can only use some parts of the year, but indoor fireplaces you can use all year round. You also get the adventure of customizing an indoor fireplace to fit your exact preferences. Of course, this is important since you’ll be seeing it every single day. With outdoor fireplaces, you’re only seeing them once in a while when you actually go outdoors. If you don’t yet have an inviting fireplace to use indoors, or you want to update the fireplace you have inside, you should definitely do this before focusing on a fireplace for the outside area of your home.
Why Is a Deluxe Electric Fireplace The Best Type of Fireplace To Use For Your Interior Space and What Benefits Are There Over A Typical Wood Fireplace or Modern Gas One?
Outdoor fireplaces have a lot more freedom in the fuel you can use, but indoor fireplaces should always be electric. This is because there is a pile of issues with fireplaces that actually burn fuel to produce heat. They are unsafe, a big hassle to use, and very expensive to install. Electric fireplaces on the other hand has all of these great things going for them:
- Not Fire Hazard – Between soot build up in the flue or chimney of a wood fireplaces or even just the exposed flames of gas units, both can be very dangerous. Electric fireplaces don’t share this same hazard.
- No Contaminants
- No Smoke – Walls stains and smoky smells are a thing of the past with these fireplaces.
- Easy Use – You don’t have to put any effort at all into using electric fireplaces.
- Easy Install – Choose the place you want to put your fireplace and push the plug into an outlet. There is nothing more to it.
- Apartments and Condos – Owned property, rentals, houses, condos, apartments: You may utilize electric fireplaces in any of them.
- Any Room – Pick a room and install your fireplace. There are no limitations with room choice.
- TV Mounting – Unlike traditional fireplaces, mounting TVs is safe, even if you put it right above the mantel.
- Heat Efficiency – Technology like infrared heating coils means you’ll use very little energy while the fireplace works to warm your home.
- Zone Heat – Add supplemental heat with multiple fireplaces to heat very large homes and still enjoy energy efficiency.
- Remote Control – Stay seated anytime you need to change your heat settings or turn your fireplace on.
- Additional Fun Features Like Virtual Aquariums – Some brands have features that turn your fireplace into a virtual aquarium.
- Flame Effect Ambiance – Invest properly in quality electric fireplaces and enjoy a realistic fireplace atmosphere that feels like a real one.
There are So Many Choices When Looking For Specific Varieties and Categories of Electric Fireplaces, Which Types Are Best?
Finding the right type is critical if you want to be absolutely sure you’ll get the best fireplace you can in your residence. Here are the type varieties of electric fireplaces, with some notes on which you might want for your interior fireplace:
- Mantel Package – Tradition is the goal with this style because they look like your regular fireplaces. These are a good choice for most people.
- Corner Fireplace – Another good choice because they function like mantel packages but fit tightly into corners.
- TV Stand Fireplace – Combine two items to save space. However, watch out because some have less than ideal heating performance.
- TV Stand Corner – Can save even more space, but can also have even more heating issues.
- Wall Mount Fireplace – Ideal if you’d like to hang your fireplace up or imbed it in a wall.
- Electric Insert – Have an old fireplace that you want to transform into electric? This is your answer.
- Freestanding Heater – Generic portable devices like these will always disappoint you. Avoid them and get one of the other suggestions.
- Electric Stove – For a rustic home, acquire a nice fireplace that’s electric but looks like an old fashioned wood style stove.
If Someone Were To Install a Fireplace That Is Electric Within The Interior of Their Home, Which Brands Is The Most Impressive When Fire Effects Are Concerned?
There isn’t any doubt that the best fireplaces for realism are MagikFlame fireplaces. Their Holoflame technology puts them leagues ahead of the fire effects coming from any competitors. Of course, there is a list of qualities they have to offer than just realistic flames. They have many choices of beautiful fireplace models that you can pick like the MagikFlame Smith fireplace. They also have additional features that add to a great fireplace experience. Here is what you’ll get with your MagikFlame fireplace:
- Ultra Realistic Fire Effects – A beautiful log set sits in the firebox featured on the front of MagikFlame fireplaces. This is where 30 different styles of flames will dance in 3D when they are holographically projected. The realism is impressive levels above any other fireplace on the market. You can see rising embers and other realistic ember effects.
- Crackling Log Sounds – Immersion is everything if you want your fireplace to feel real. That’s why the addition of log sounds that crackle really add so much immersion to the entire experience. Seeing the sparking embers rising from the flames are that much more powerful when you hear the cracks of the flames as well. For an extra bonus, these fireplaces can also play sounds of nature.
- 5,200 BTU Heat – The BTU output of the heater you’ll find in MagikFlame fireplaces will leave you feeling cozy. Infrared technology allows your fireplace to efficiently keep your family warm so that the heating bill stays as low as it possibly can.
- Smartphone App – Control your fireplace with your phone. It is that easy with the official MagikFlame app. It’s very simple, easy, and effortless to use. You’ll be able to quickly change fire effects, heat settings, and more.
Want to learn more? Here are some resources so you can discover all you want about MagikFlame electric fireplaces:
- MagikFlame Story: The tale of how it started.
- MagikFlame Reviews: Insightful words shared from existing customers.
- MagikFlame Electric Fireplace Buying Guide: A general guide on electric fireplaces.
- How MagikFlame Is Built: Detailed breakdown of the materials and method of how they are made.
- Payment Plans and Financing: Ordering now isn’t a problem because of their great financing plans.
- MagikFlame Warranty: All great products come with full warranties and MagikFlame is no exception.