It has been a common misconception that wall-mounted electric fireplaces are dangerous for homes. In this post, we look into why this is not true and why the wall mount electric fireplaces are safe. If you already know how to turn on an electric fireplace without a remote, then you will easily understand the rest of the safety concepts. The wall-mounted option is the best freestanding solution for tight spaces and saves considerable space.
In this post, you will learn:
- Wall Mount Electric Fireplace
- Advantages of Wall Mount Electric Fireplace
- Safety Features of the Electric Fireplace
- Electric Fireplace Safety Tips
- Considerations for Choosing an Electric Fireplace
Are wall-mounted electric fireplaces safe?
If you are still undecided about an electric fireplace for your home, would you believe that they are the safest, most energy-efficient, and cost-effective option? They are a versatile, secure, and eco-friendly home heating option that takes up minimal space in your residence.
A wall-mounted electric fireplace can make your living room more appealing and comfortable during winter and is known to be energy-efficient, and requires only a minimal area installation. It will not raise your electricity bills, but in fact, lower them. You will also be making less of an impact on the environment, which will be making your life healthier. As opposed to gas line-powered fireplaces, the modern types of electric fireplaces have been designed for maximum efficiency and follow the current environmental protection standards, ensuring that your living space is appealing and comfortable.
Advantages of a wall-mounted electric fireplace
- Practical: Adding supplemental heat to any room without the hassle of an actual fire. They have an output that can quickly warm a large square foot area.
- Reliable: It is a heat output or heat source that can double up as an entertainment center.
- Safe: They are not a fire hazard because there is no actual fire, and the settings make them changeable and programmable to display varying flames.
- Stylish: Aesthetically pleasing, they add appeal to the room. They are designed in various colors that will complement your home décor. The flame effect makes things even better and transforms the home on nights. LED lights and variable settings create a natural ambiance for your family gatherings.
- Space Saving: With a wall-mounted electric fireplace, most of the floor space is left open when you mount it directly on the wall. The rest of the room is left free for safety and adds to the entire home’s comfort.
- Ease of installation: The wall-mounted electric fireplaces are also simple to install. They do not require any chimney or flue and are also low maintenance. You can get it installed by yourself, proving the effectiveness and ease of using the wall-mounted fireplace.
- Cost-effective: Costs little to operate compared to traditional large electric fireplaces. You can save on oil and gas line costs that you could have incurred with a traditional fireplace.
- Eco-Friendly: They do not produce fumes, sparks, or dangerous emissions and are clean and odor-free. This makes them conducive for any home and is known to be a very safe zone heating option. They also do not release carbon monoxide, which is consistent with a traditional wood-burning or gas-burning fireplace. They also have a smaller carbon footprint, which is better for the environment.
Safety features of the electric fireplace
Electric fireplaces are designed around functionality and ease of use with features similar to the typical electric fireplace stove. They are known to have fantastic safety features such as:
- Flames never get hot: The fireplaces don’t produce real fire and are designed with a heating element with a display panel for showing the flames. As a result, you can mount these fireplaces on any wall quickly and efficiently. The heating element never gets as hot as a hairdryer, which means the fireplace is safe and has lower risks.
- Safe protective screens: The protective screen is relatively safe, and you will not burn yourself by touching it. The screen remains at a low temperature even when the fireplace heat has been turned on. It is designed to prevent the risks of burns. This is beneficial for small areas with kids and pets. However, always read the safety warnings before starting the fireplace to remain on the safe side.
- Timers: You can set a shut-off feature in the electric fireplace anywhere from 30 minutes to nine hours. This ensures that your fireplace does not overheat and cause damage when left on for too long. It would help if you did not leave the electric fireplaces overnight to save you money and energy.
- Emergency shut-off switches: Most electric fireplaces are equipped with automatic shut-off features designed to prevent excessive heating and fire risk. These are also known as electric fireplace safety breakers.
Despite these safety features, some situations require you to shut off the fireplace, such as:
- When using an extension. You should never use an extension cord.
- If you smell a weird smell from the fireplace
- If you are a sleepwalker or have someone in your family who is.
It would be best to teach everyone in your household about electric fireplace safety to avoid risks and hazards. A fire screen can be used as a deterrent for children and pets Using a wall-mounted fireplace is a useful measure for kids and pets, and as the fireplace gets mounted four to five feet above the floor, it will be out of the toddler’s reach.
Electric fireplace safety tips
The following safety tips will ensure that you achieve total safety for your wall-mounted electric fireplace.
- Ensure that all combustible materials are kept at least three feet away from the electric fireplace. This is meant to reduce fire risk because the materials get too hot and ignite. Combustible materials include wood, paper, clothing, curtains, furniture, and bedding.
- Do not touch any of the hot surfaces when the fireplace is in operation. This can cause physical damage and burns on the skin. This includes the heating element and the vent are where the hot air is blown out.
- Ensure that all the vents are open and not blocked. It allows for the ventilation of hot and fresh air for the efficient operation of the fireplace.
- Unplug the electric fireplace when not in use. This will ensure that you save on electricity bills and the fireplace does not turn on with a power fluctuation.
- Avoid using the electric fireplace outdoors, exposing it to the elements.
- Do not use the electric fireplaces in areas such as the bathroom or kitchen. These are odd places and might be full of other appliances that cannot operate effectively and may trip the breaker due to too much amperage use.
- Ensure that the fireplace is installed in a place where it will not be exposed to water. Do not place drinks and other fluids on the fireplace.
- Do not use your fireplace close to paints, gasoline, flammable liquids, or fumes.
- Ensure that all cords are kept out of the way to avoid tripping hazards. Try to attach the cord to the wall’s edges to maximize space efficiency and ensure that it operates safely.
- When taking the package apart once it has arrived, be careful with the components to avoid breaking or damaging any features.
- When lifting the electric fireplace, only hold the firebox and not the glass, which is fragile and easily broken. If you accidentally drop the unit or notice any signs of damage, avoid using the electric fireplace. Ensure you take it to a technician for repair and guarantee it is in good shape before plugging it in.
- Avoid making modifications to the fireplace and use professional services when you need to change something. This ensures safe operations of the fireplace, and an electrician will be better equipped to activate the features you seek to add to your setup.
- You should routinely inspect the cord for damage. Inspections are known to prevent accidents ahead of time.
- The safety glass should be closed to prevent pets and children from touching hot surfaces. The protection should never be removed from the fireplace’s front.
- Always follow the instructions in the owner’s manual while installing and learning to operate the electric fireplace as it has been designed.
- Ensure filters are not blocked. Always keep clear to ensure a regular and unrestricted exchange of air in the fireplace and the heating element gets a steady supply of fresh air. This makes it more effective in heating the home, and it does not overheat.
Considerations for Choosing an Electric Fireplace
Whenever you select a wall-mounted electric fireplace that will suit your home, several considerations should be kept in mind.
- Size: This is a touchstone selection factor, and your wall-mounted electric fireplace needs to fit the available space.
- Heating capacity: Take the time to compare wattage (in volts) and BTUs, which show the electric fireplace’s heat production capacity. This will be important for your selection as it factors into how your home will feel when you eventually install it. It also determines the bills coming in monthly due to the wattage.
- Style and finish: Don’t forget about the way the wall-mounted fireplace looks. It should be smart enough to match the rest of your home interior décor. Choose a fireplace with colors that complement the existing one. You can work wonders with the correct color scheme for your electric fireplace.
- Real flame presentation: You want to create a nice look in your home that brings about an ambiance with realistic flame effects, glowing embers, etc. These features are a must, and you should always enquire about them before settling on a wall-mounted fireplace to take home. A fire-only mode enables you to get the blazing feeling without the heat and helps set the mood for your home.
- Additional conveniences: The fun of the fireplace is in the settings and operational freedom it offers. Does it have several heat settings? Can a thermostat control it? Does it have an accompanying remote control? These are essential questions that will guide your selection.
Magikflame electric fireplaces are available with nice payment plans and financing as a wall-mounted, freestanding unit that comes complete with installation steps for getting it in place. They have advanced technological features such as safety features and timers, which can turn them off on a set schedule. They are designed to be easy to use and have varied settings to customize the fireplace’s appearance depending on the time and season. The flames are not real fire and will not burn someone that touches the screen. Only the heating element produces heat hidden within the fireplace and cannot cause harm to anyone. This should clarify the question, “are wall-mounted electric fireplaces safe?”, Yes, they are. If you want to buy an electric fireplace from a trusted brand – you’re in the right place.
Magikflame fireplaces are also energy efficient and include vents that ensure that temperature is regulated. The vents also bring in the fresh air and blow out the hot air, thus efficiently keeping the fireplace heating element. The flames are varied in color and ambiance, bringing the magic of heating your home to a new level. You are always in charge of an easily accessible control panel and, in some cases, mobile apps you can use from the comfort of your device.
Still, wondering if wall-mounted electric fireplaces are safe? Safety features are key. The electric fireplaces feature overheating protection. This automatically shuts down the fireplace whenever it exceeds pre-set parameters for safety. This is important and keeps you safe. The timer feature ensures that the fireplace does not stay on for too long. The fireplace automatically shuts down once the set time has expired and stops using your electricity.
So, are wall-mounted electric fireplaces safe? They are. Dimplex technology ensures that they operate at maximum efficiency while saving on energy costs. With the excellent Magikflame electric fireplace buying guide, you will be able to select the best electric fireplace.
Wall-mount electric fireplaces are designed to maximize space usage. As opposed to a gas fireplace, an electric fireplace should be mounted with plenty of allowance or clearance.