Home decor isn’t just limited to the interior of your home like interior design. It also includes your outdoor space as well. While for the indoors, you might hire an interior designer to help make decisions, you can actually be the architect of your own backyard decor.
One of the best ways to improve your backyard is by getting a nice outdoor style fireplace to be a beautiful focal point. This can be a fire pit for marshmallow roasting for s’mores, or even grilling hot dogs on roasting sticks. Of course, the best fire pit will need some great fire pit accessories.
In this article, we’re going to help you out by talking about outdoor fireplaces, accessories you might want, and answer some other related questions. Whether a home builder is building your new home, or you are just looking to remodel your outdoor area, this article is here to point you in the right direction.
Below Is Everything This Article Will Cover For You:
- What Are The Different Outdoor Fireplace Types? – Outdoor fireplaces come in a wide variety of types depending on your needs and aesthetic preferences. This section covers all of the different types that you might find for your outdoor area.
- For Gas Fire Pit Fuel Type, Should I Use Propane or Natural Gas? – Gas fire pits typically come in a couple of different types of gas. This section will let you know the differences between these types of gas and which one you might want to select for your home.
- Are Stainless Steel Fire Pits Heat Resistant, Water-Resistant, and Weather-Resistant? – This will discuss fire pits made of stainless steel and how resistant they are to the elements.
- Do They Make a Tabletop Stainless Steel Fire Pit? – If you are looking for a simple fire pit designed to sit on an outdoor table, we’ll discuss these and why they aren’t ideal in most situations.
- Why Are There So Many Different Types of Fire Pit Accessories? – We briefly cover why so many different types of accessories are available for your fire pit.
- What Are The Most Common Types of Fire Pit Accessories For a Backyard Fire Pit? – This section will give you a great breakdown of all of the different accessories that you might need.
- Do You Need Classic Accessories Like a Fire Pit Cover, Firewood Rack, Log Rack, or More For an Outdoor Fire Pit? – Not all accessories are needed for your fire pit. We’ll go over why some are only needed for certain types of fire pits.
- When Purchasing A Fire Pit or Other Heating Device For Outdoor Use, Is It Okay To Purchase Generic Versions on Amazon or Do Generic Amazon Fireplaces Lack Durability? – Although it can be tempting, generic Amazon outdoor fire pits come with their drawbacks. This section will explain why.
- Regarding Safety, Is it Okay To Use a Fire Pit Under a Covered Outdoor Area or Enclosed Patio? – Safety is a major concern with outdoor fire pits. Here we will talk about the safety involved with using them when they aren’t exposed to the open air.
- Why Are Electric Fireplaces Better For Covered Areas and Enclosed Patios Compared To Options That Use Wood or Gas? – If you like the idea of a proper fireplace for your covered area, you might not be aware of why electric fireplaces are better than fireplaces that are wood or gas burning. Here, we’ll explain why electric is the best choice for these specific enclosed patio and covered deck situations.
- What Are The Different Electric Fireplace Types and Which of Them Are Best Outdoor Living Areas Like Enclosed Patios or Covered Decks? – There are so many different types of electric fireplaces. Many would work great for areas like enclosed patios or covered decks. Others you should just avoid altogether. This part will help you know the difference between these two types.
- Is There a Heavy-Duty Electric Fireplace That Is Best When it Comes To Realistic 3D Flames? – If an electric fireplace is what you’re going for, but you want a top end brand with realistic flames, this section will help you out.
What Are The Different Outdoor Fireplace Types?
There are quite a few different types of fireplaces that you can use in your backyard. Fire pits are one of the most common types. These can be wood burning or even gas. For a wood burning fire pit, some people even do their own DIY build. Another wood burning option is a solo stove, and some are designed to minimize how much smoke is released. There are also some interesting ones like a chiminea. Of course, there are also options like electric fireplaces that you can also use in specific situations.
For Gas Fire Pit Fuel Type, Should I Use Propane or Natural Gas?
If you are using gas, natural gas can be hooked up to the gas lines for your house. This allows you to have a steady supply of gas for your fire pit, but does require extra work and cost during installation. A fire pit that uses propane gas will usually burn a little more efficiently. A propane fire pit also burns cleaner as well. In the end, you just need to decide if changing the tanks for propane is worth it or not for you. You can get a propane tank cover so that the tank isn’t an eyesore and it is more protected. Some fire pits already have these built into their design.
Do They Make a Tabletop Stainless Steel Fire Pit?
While you can get smaller fire pits that sit on your table outside, they aren’t going to put out nearly as much heat. These can be fun for a short time if only a few people are present, but they are really just a small novelty. If you use your backyard quite a lot for social gatherings and more, getting a larger fire pit or fireplace will usually be a much better investment in the long run.
There are many types of accessories because there are so many different types of fire pits. What accessories you might need will depend on the type of fire pit you have, the fuel it uses, and even the general aesthetic of your backyard area.
Fire pits come in many different materials. Stone, concrete, black steel, cast iron, stainless steel, and more. While most of these materials are perfectly fine, stainless steel is easy to keep clean. This is due to its resistance to heat, water, and other weather elements.
What Are The Most Common Types of Fire Pit Accessories For a Backyard Fire Pit?
If you have a fire pit that burns wood, one of the most common items that you might want is a fire pit spark screen. You can get them from companies like Dagan or Sunnydaze Decor. These help protect your backyard from ember sparks that might pop off of the burning wood. Regardless of the use of these screens, you still want to make sure your wood burning fire pit is far away from flammable material. You don’t want it near dry leaves, and you should make sure the fire pit is on a hard, non-flammable surface rather than something like a wood deck or dry grass. You also want to keep it a safe distance from the house. Keep in mind, that while they can be useful, a spark screen isn’t as necessary for fire pits that burn gas.
Another useful thing to get for fire pits that burn wood are some fire pit tools. These can be some basic things like tongs to handle the burning wood and stoke the flames. You can also get a log holder so that your logs, fire starter, and kindling have easy access near the fire pit.
One common thing to do for a square fire pit that uses gas or a fire pit table with a firebowl is to fill it with a lava rock arrangement or fire glass. Lava rocks tend to look much more natural. Fire glass usually comes in bright colors that almost glow next to the flame. American Fire Glass is a best seller brand of fire glass that you can get in several colors.
Image: Aspen Industries, Inc.: Round Fire Pit Screen
Do You Need Classic Accessories Like a Fire Pit Cover, Firewood Rack, Log Rack, or More For an Outdoor Fire Pit?
A round fire pit cover can be very useful in many situations. They are great if you want to protect your fire pit from the elements when it rains or snows. This can save you a lot of time and effort cleaning it out later. Other items like the rack are really only necessary if you have a fire pit that burns wood. Gas fire pits don’t need tools or accessories that are designed for wood fire pits, so there is no need to get them if you have a fire pit that burns gas.
Image via HGTV
When Purchasing A Fire Pit or Other Heating Device For Outdoor Use, Is It Okay To Purchase Generic Versions on Amazon or Do Generic Amazon Fireplaces Lack Durability?
If you are at all serious about your outdoor area, avoid cheap brands, no matter how enticing the low price is. For anything important like fire pits or other outdoor fireplaces, especially when safety is a concern, you want to go with trusted brands. Trusted brands of these fireplaces will last much longer, be safer, work more efficiently, and will usually just look much more aesthetically pleasing.
Regarding Safety, Is it Okay To Use a Fire Pit Under a Covered Outdoor Area or Enclosed Patio?
Any kind of fire pit that burns wood or gas isn’t really safe under any kind of covered area or enclosed patio. Unless the flames can burn with completely open air above it, you shouldn’t choose fire pits for your outdoor fireplace. This is because smoke or carbon monoxide can easily accumulate in these areas and be very dangerous for your breathing. Smoke and carbon monoxide inhalation can both be deadly. On top of this, the exposed flames can actually burn the covered area since fire pits aren’t really made for safety in regards to covered or enclosed areas. If you have an enclosed patio, a covered deck, or some other kind of canopy, avoid fire pits altogether.
For situations like these, an electric fireplace will actually be a much better alternative due to safety. Additionally, they perform really well in covered and enclosed areas due to the extreme efficiency of their infrared heating coils.
Why Are Electric Fireplaces Better For Covered Areas and Enclosed Patios Compared To Options That Use Wood or Gas?
While fireplaces for interior areas or even enclosed patios can be wood, gas, or electric, they aren’t all good. Electric is by far the best choice and here is why:
- They don’t pose an additional fire risk like wood and gas fireplaces do.
- With electric fireplaces, you don’t have to worry about harmful emissions like smoke and carbon monoxide that traditional and gas fireplaces produce.
- Since electric fireplaces are smoke free, you don’t have to deal with those smoky smells or smoke stains that can occur with other fireplace types.
- It’s almost effortless to use an electric fireplace. You don’t have to build a fire or anything. Just turn the fireplace on, and enjoy it.
- The installation of your electric fireplace is incredibly simple for most electric fireplace types. Once you find a spot, just plug it into a nearby, standard electrical outlet.
- You can’t mount TVs above traditional fireplaces, but with electric fireplaces, it is perfectly safe if you would like to mount a TV above it.
- Infrared heating from electric fireplaces is very efficient.
- You can stay seated while operating your electric fireplace with the remote that comes with most of them.
- The ambiance of a real fireplace can be perfectly captured with higher end electric fireplaces that support holographic 3D fire technology.
What Are The Different Electric Fireplace Types and Which of Them Are Best Outdoor Living Areas Like Enclosed Patios or Covered Decks?
Regardless if you want an electric fireplace for the interior of your home, an enclosed patio, or a covered area like a deck, there are many types to choose from. Some electric fireplace types are great in most cases. Others might be better for specific situations. A few should just be completely avoided. This list will help you choose:
- Flat Wall Mantel Package – This type of fireplace is always a good choice due to its solid build and performance. These are the fireplaces that look the most like traditional open hearth style fireplaces. A flat wall mantel package usually comes as a combo of the mantel and fireplace together, but not already connected. This is so manufacturers have the ability to offer a wide variety of mantel types.
- Corner Fireplace – This is another solid choice. These fireplaces operate and perform just as well as the flat wall mantel packages, however they are designed so that they sit in the corner of a room.
- TV Stand Fireplace – These TV stand fireplaces are great if you want to include a TV on your enclosed patio, however be careful when purchasing. Many of these have weaker fireplaces inside of them due to space limitations.
- Corner TV Stand Fireplace – A corner TV stand fireplace is just the corner version of the previous fireplace. While they can help save space, they suffer from the exact same problem as a regular TV stand fireplace. Instead of one of these, consider a standard corner fireplace and just putting a TV on top of it. Forgo all of the shelves and cabinets.
- Wall Mount Fireplace – If you want to hang your fireplace or imbed it into a recessed wall, that is possible with these fireplaces. They do have special mounting brackets so that you can safely mount it to the studs within a wall or other sturdy object.
- Electric Insert – These inserts are great if you want to convert an existing fireplace you might have into an electric one. They are also good if you feel like using them with a different, third party mantel. Just make sure it fits the same dimensions.
- Freestanding Fireplace Heater – These portable heating devices are convenient, but they perform badly and look cheap. You really want to stay away from these in most cases.
- Electric Stove – Don’t confuse this with your kitchen stove. These are electric fireplaces that are designed to resemble wood stoves in a cabin or on a rural farmhouse. Unless that is the aesthetic you are going for, these will look a bit out of place.
Is There a Heavy-Duty Electric Fireplace That Is Best When it Comes To Realistic 3D Flames?
You don’t want to get just any electric fireplace. So many brands have cheap builds and their fire effects look incredibly fake. If realism is something that you truly care about, then you will want something that uses holographic 3D flame effects like the technology found in MagikFlame electric fireplaces. If you get a MagikFlame electric fireplace, here is everything that you can expect to enjoy with them:
- Ultrarealistic 3D Fire Effects – The star of the show is the 3D holographic flames that come with every MagikFlame electric fireplace. These holographic flames are 3D projected onto a physical log set that sits above a glowing ember bed. You can switch between 30 different styles of flames that MagikFlame can produce, allowing you to set the mood just right. The flames move, dance, flicker, and have little ember sparks just like a real fireplace. Don’t be surprised if many people find themselves unable to tell the difference between your MagikFlame fireplace and the real thing.
- Crackling Log Sounds – To really help take the authentic realism of MagikFlame fireplaces to the next level, they also produce the sounds of crackling logs. These relaxing sounds capture the snaps and pops to further help immersion. For some added realism with MagikFlame fireplaces, there are also nature sounds that can easily be played.
- 5,200 BTU Heater – With the infrared heating device inside of every MagikFlame electric fireplaces, you can easily warm a space of up to 1,000 square feet. This is plenty for most people as a single MagikFlame fireplace can warm most apartments, condos, and small to medium houses. However, if you are someone who has an extremely large home that is well over 1,000 square feet, you can also choose to set up supplemental zone heating. This allows you to warm your house in zones while keeping your heating bill as low as possible.
- Smartphone App – You don’t need just another boring remote control that needs line of sight to operate your MagikFlame fireplace. Instead, you can use their intuitive app that can be installed onto your smartphone or tablet. The app features large, graphical buttons so you can easily see exactly what you are doing. You can effortlessly control your fireplace from anywhere within your home. Turn it on, change the temperature, and control the visual and audio features with easy.
If you are considering an electric fireplace for your outdoor patio or even the interior of your home, here are plenty of additional resources to help you even more:
- MagikFlame Story: With this fun write up, you can discover how MagikFlame started in the first place and the inspiration of their interesting technology.
- How MagikFlame Is Built: If want to know exactly how MagikFlame fireplaces are built, this is perfect for you.
- MagikFlame Reviews: You can read exactly what existing MagikFlame customers have to say with these helpful testimonials.
- MagikFlame Electric Fireplace Buying Guide: For people that would like to learn a bit more about electric fireplaces in general, this guide can help you out.
- Payment Plans and Financing: There is no need to wait to order your MagikFlame fireplaces with these incredibly useful financing options.
- MagikFlame Warranty: With a great, full warranty, there is no reason not to order your MagikFlame today.