Electric fireplaces are quickly becoming the go-to fireplaces for modern homes. Because of safety issues, traditional wood fireplaces aren’t even allowed to be built in many new areas. Electric fireplaces also have the added benefit of being able to be installed in condos and apartments, whether you are a homeowner or just renting. Luckily, there are a wide variety of electric fireplaces on the marketplace today, so interested parties can have their free reign of fireplaces to choose from.
For many people that enjoy a nice, modern aesthetic with their fireplace, they opt to go with a wall fireplace or a recessed electric fireplace. This allows the fireplace to be recessed directly into the wall, either partially or fully, whether it is on the ground or higher up on the wall.
Of course, if this is something that you are considering, you might be wondering to yourself, is a wall fireplace safe to install? The article below is going to help answer this question and many more questions related to electric fireplaces and their installation.
Inside of The Following Article, You Will Learn:
- Why Should I Choose An Electric Fireplace Over A Wood or Gas Fireplace Anyway? – The three main types of fireplaces that people can put in their home are wood, gas, and electric fireplaces. So why should you put an electric fireplace in your home over these other types of fireplaces anyway? This section will help set the record straight on all of the benefits of electric fireplaces over these other types.
- What Are All of The Different Electric Fireplace Categories? – There are many different types of electric fireplaces for all different kinds of situations and visual preferences. Some of them can be installed into a wall, while some can’t. This section will review the different types that you can commonly find, and which will be best for wall installation.
- Is an Electric Wall Fireplace Safe To Install? – It is understandable that some people might be apprehensive about installing an electric fireplace into their wall. This section of the article will help address any of those safety concerns that you might have.
- How Do You Install a Wall Mount Electric Fireplace? – If you want a wall hanging fireplace, you need to make sure everything is properly secured. This section will go over the basic steps to ensure your hanging fireplace is mounted correctly so you don’t have to worry about any kind of damage to the unit or your home.
- How Do You Install an Electric Wall Fireplace To Be Wall Recessed? – While electric fireplaces are generally an easy installation, a fireplace that is installed into a wall recession is slightly more involved. This part of the article will help you understand how this is done.
- How Do Electric Fireplaces Create Heat Output? – One common issue is that people don’t have a readily available outlet for their new fireplace, especially if it is installed higher up on the wall. This will cover installing a new outlet for your unit.
- How Do Electric Fireplaces Create Heat Output? – This will go over the details on how electric fireplaces work to keep your home warm.
- How Do Electric Fireplaces Create Flame Effects? – Electric fireplaces create fire effects in several different ways and not all are created equal. This will break down the most common visual effect styles of electric fireplaces.
- When Choosing An Electric Fireplace To Be Installed, Which Brands Are Good? – From Dimplex, Simplifire, Touchstone, and more, there are several brands of electric fireplaces to choose from. This part will highlight some of those brands.
- Is There a Brand of High End Electric Fireplace That Is The Most Realistic? – For people that truly want the most realistic electric fireplace experience, this section will be well worth checking out.
Why Should I Choose An Electric Fireplace Over A Wood or Gas Fireplace Anyway?
If you aren’t already aware, wood and gas fireplaces have several safety issues and they aren’t nearly as efficient as electric fireplaces due to their need of venting. However, just to be clear, here are the major issues with wood fireplaces:
- Safety Problems – One of the most common causes for house fires is a wood fireplace where the soot inside the chimney has caught on fire and then it spreads to the rest of the home. There is also a risk from sparking embers hitting something in your room that is combustible, or even a log that is on fire slipping and rolling into the room. Even without a house fire being a potential threat, there are also the issues of both smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning due to the incomplete burn of the wood.
- Huge Hassle – The novelty of having wood fireplaces quickly fades after you realize how much work has to go into them. On a daily basis, you have to clean all of the ash that is leftover from the day before. You then have to go get wood from your wood pile, split the logs if it isn’t already split, stack it in the fireplace, add kindling, and wait for your fire to eventually start burning sufficiently. On top of all of this, you have to keep your eye on the fire and stoke the flames regularly. Lastly, if you want to avoid a dangerous house fire, you have to call a professional to come clean out your flue and chimney two or three times per year.
- Smell and Staining – The smell of smoke and the way it stains the walls and furniture in your home is just not worth it. Both the smoke smell and the stains can be incredibly difficult to clean out. Keep in mind, that even if you get used to the smell and don’t notice it, that doesn’t mean it isn’t there. People coming to visit you will be met with a strong smoke smell upon entering your home. Your clothes will smell like this when you leave the house as well, regardless if you smell it or not.
It’s true that gas fireplaces burn much cleaner and don’t produce smoke. However, an incomplete burn of the gas can cause harmful carbon monoxide emissions just the same. Additionally, you are never going to get the proper, tradition flame that you want. Gas fireplace flames always look so weak and discolored. Installing them is also a huge chore. You have to have gas lines ran to these fireplaces if they aren’t already installed. For the gas fireplaces that don’t need gas lines, you have to change propane tanks frequently.
All of the benefits that come with electric fireplaces far outweigh any nostalgic need for a traditional fireplace, especially when some high end electric fireplaces can perfectly replicate the same look and feeling. Here are many of the fantastic benefits of electric fireplaces, and why choosing one of them for your home is clearly the best decision:
- Incredibly Safe – Electric fireplaces are far and away a lot safer for your home than gas or wood fireplaces. This is because electric fireplaces don’t burn anything and there is no flame present at all. This means that there is absolutely no additional risk of a house fire like there is with wood and gas fireplaces, and there is no chance of inhaling any kind of harmful emissions. Electric fireplaces only release warm air into the room, nothing else. Because of this, you also don’t need any kind of ventilation.
- Easy To Install – Wood fireplaces require tons of expensive construction if you don’t already have them, and gas fireplaces have quite involved installations as well. Electric fireplaces, on the other hand, are the easiest fireplaces in the world to install. For the most part, you easily pick a place in your home you want them to be, and you aren’t limited to just the main room. Then, after placing your electric fireplace, you plug it into any nearby electrical outlet. That is it.
- Easy To Use – Electric fireplaces are dead simple to use. They even tend to come with a remote control so you don’t even have to get out of your seat. With the remote, you can turn it on or off, set the temperature, and more. Once the temperature is set, that’s all there is to it. You don’t have to keep messing with it, just allow the fireplace to automatically adjust its heat production to fit your ideal temperature settings.
- Cost Effective – If you buy a high end electric fireplace, you are going to end up spending a lot less for your heating due to how efficiently they work. The amount of wood and gas that these other fireplaces use can get very expensive, especially when they have to burn much hotter to make up for all of the heat that is lost in the ventilation.
- Realistic Fireplace Atmosphere – With high end electric fireplaces, there is an emphasis placed on realistic simulation of a fireplace. This means you can have a fireplace with all of the benefits of being electric, while still perfectly replicating everything that is great about traditional fireplaces.
- TV Mounting – Because of the lack of smoke and because electric fireplaces blow heat out into the room instead of simply rising up, it is perfectly safe to mount a TV set above an electric fireplace without any risk of damaging it. If you tried to install one above a traditional wood fireplace, you’d quickly end up with a TV that doesn’t work anymore.
Now that you understand the clear benefits of electric fireplaces over wood and gas, let’s look at the different types you can get…
What Are All of The Different Electric Fireplace Categories?
There are many types of electric fireplaces:
- Electric fireplaces with a mantel for flat walls
- Corner electric fireplaces
- Electric fireplace TV stands
- Wall mount electric fireplace
- Electric fireplace insert units
- Freestanding electric fireplaces
- Electric fireplace stove
With the exception for the TV stand fireplace, the freestanding electric fireplace, and the electric fireplace stove, any of these units can easily be installed either hanging on a wall or built into a wall recess.
Is an Electric Wall Fireplace Safe To Install?
Yes, electric fireplaces are incredibly safe to install into a wall. There are really only three safety concerns to keep in mind when installing an electric fireplace into a wall:
- A securely mounted fireplace
- Electric wiring that is up to code
- Heat blowers that aren’t covered
As long as you are securing the fireplace properly, you don’t have to worry about it falling on or hurting anyone. Also, you need to make sure that the electrical wiring is done properly, which should be the same everywhere in your home. Lastly, you need to make sure the blowers are open to the room so that heat can freely come out. All of these issues are incredibly easy to manage due to electric fireplace design.
How Do You Install a Wall Mount Electric Fireplace?
To wall mount a fireplace, there are three basic steps:
- Secure the Mount To The Wall – Following the included instructions, secure the mount to the studs that are inside of the wall. The studs are what will be taking the weight of the fireplace. If you tried to install something heaving like a fireplace into the drywall without securing it to the studs using some kind of flush mount device, your fireplace would come crashing down, breaking it, the wall, and possibly injuring anyone that is in the way.
- Hang The Fireplace on The Mount – After the mount is secured, you then attach the fireplace to the mount. This is typically done by placing the fireplace on a lower lip at the bottom of the mount, and then securing the top of the fireplace to the mount. Of course, this will vary depending on the fireplace and mount, so be sure to follow the included instructions.
- Install The Glass – After the fireplace is on the wall, you can install the glass onto the front of the electric fireplace.
Keep in mind that this is just a basic overview and that you should properly follow the mounting instructions that came with your fireplace.
How Do You Install an Electric Wall Fireplace To Be Wall Recessed?
Installing an electric fireplace into a wall recession works in much the same way. However, in this instance, you will be installing it between two different studs instead of directly onto them. This will require a different type of mount and you may also need support underneath the fireplace as well, but inside of the wall.
Keep in mind, if you install an electric fireplace into the wall, you will be limited by the space between studs as well as the depth of the wall. While many electric fireplaces aren’t very thick, not all can be fully recessed to sit flush with the wall. Sometimes you may be limited to only a partial recess job.
How Do You Run a New Electrical Outlet For a Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace?
Sometimes, there isn’t an electrical outlet in the location where you want to install your electric fireplace. In this instance, you would want to run a new outlet to that location, or have an existing outlet moved there. Either way, unless you already have extensive experience doing electrical work, you should avoid doing this yourself and instead calling a professional.
When doing electrical work, there are so many code requirements, that it is best to allow a professional electrician to make sure your new electrical outlet is properly installed through the fuse box, with the correct gauge wire, and that everything is properly grounded. Failing to do any of this right if you choose to do it yourself, can result in damage to your fireplace and your home. It is best to just trust a professional with this one.
Keep in mind that many electric fireplaces allow them to be directly wired in, so there may not even be a need for an electrical outlet. This is useful if you are limited on space and the plastic cover of an outlet is keeping you from having enough clearance inside of a recessed wall.
How Do Electric Fireplaces Create Heat Output?
Electric fireplaces produce heat through a process known as convection. To do this, air is sucked in from the room and as it cycles through the machine, it is rapidly heated via an infrared heating device inside of it. The air is then very gently cycled back out into the room through the blowers. As long as the blowers aren’t blocked, a room can be warmed very quickly and efficiently with a high end electric fireplace.
Keep in mind, if you block the blowers, no heat will come out, and your fireplace will automatically shut off when an issue with internal overheating is detected by its settings. So, just be sure you don’t have anything blocking the blowers of the fireplace. Luckily, they are usually placed on the front, so blocking the blowers is rarely an issue, especially if you choose a wall mount electric fireplace that is up higher from the ground.
How Do Electric Fireplaces Create Flame Effects?
Electric fireplaces have many different kinds of ways that fire effects are produced. Unfortunately, a large amount of these methods look fake and tacky. Some can be a bit more decent, while one type truly is ultra-realistic.
For a lot of the cheap and generic electric fireplaces on the market, the flame visual effects will usually just be some kind of backlight that shows through different color panels on the front. This may or may not have a spinning mechanical device inside, to poorly attempt the look of a flickering flame.
For a slightly better experience, some electric fireplaces have LED flames, or lights shown on 3D water vapor. These are certainly a step in the right directly, but it is still far from the most realistic technology used to simulate flames.
For the most realistic look, you would need an electric fireplace that has 3D holographic technology. By 3D projecting the flames inside of the fireplace, it is genuinely hard to tell between it and the real thing.
When Choosing An Electric Fireplace To Be Installed, Which Brands Are Good?
Because there are so many different types of visual effects, and this greatly influences the perceived quality of the electric fireplace and whether or not it looks fake within the home, it is important to choose a brand of fireplace with a flame style that fits your preference, as well as working properly to heat your home.
There are many good brands of electric fireplaces. Some are Dimplex, Simplifire, Touchstone, Muskoka, and more. Some are more traditional looking fireplaces, some have curved glass, and some have a driftwood log inside. Some are a lot more different like the linear electric fireplace that Touchstone has with its multicolor flame. It has a stainless steel, ultra-thin bezel for a modern look.
However, if you want to go with one of the most realistic, high end, luxury electric fireplaces on the market, you need to read the following section…
Is There a Brand of High End Electric Fireplace That Is The Most Realistic?
The real truth is, if you really want an incredibly realistic electric fireplace that is leaps ahead of the competition, you have to choose a MagikFlame electric fireplace. MagikFlame fireplaces are made of the highest quality and include technology inside of them that helps provide the realistic ambiance of a fireplace experience. Here are all of the great features and benefits that you can expect when making the wise decision to install a multi-function MagikFlame electric fireplace into your home:
- The Most Ultrarealistic Visual Effects – Inside of the firebox of MagikFlame electric fireboxes is a physical log set and an ember bed. At the simple push of a button, you can select between 30 different incredibly realistic 3D moving and flickering flames that are holographically projected inside onto the log set. By having so many different flame movements, flame brightness, and ember snapping options, you can set the mood of the flames to whatever you desire.
- Immersive Audio Enhancement Effects – You don’t just see the fire effects, you can hear them too with realistic crackling log sounds that further add to the fireplace atmosphere. Because the perfectly simulated holographic flames are complimented with the realistic snaps and pops of a crackling log, people sitting in front of a MagikFlame electric fireplace will have a hard time telling that they aren’t sitting in front of the real thing. In addition to the crackling log sounds, MagikFlame also has relaxing and atmospheric nature sound options you can select from depending on your mood.
- An Efficiently Powerful 5,200 BTU Internal Electric Fireplace Heater – The 5,200 BTU Infrared heating element inside of each MagikFlame electric fireplace can quickly warm a living space of up to 1,000 sq. ft. Once the heat settings are to your preference, you don’t have to touch it anymore. The electric fireplace will automatically work harder when the temperature drops lower, and work less when the temperature is right. This means you don’t have to constantly be playing with the thermostat, and you can be happy knowing the fireplace is working as efficiently as possible to cost effectively heat your home. If you have a home that is larger than 1,000 sq. ft., you can save even more money on your heating bill by installing two or more fireplaces and setting your home up for zone heating. Zone heating means that the fireplaces are only active in rooms when they are occupied. As long as you keep doors between rooms closed, you will be using a fraction of the normal energy to keep yourself warm wherever you go in your house.
- Touch Screen Smartphone Control – In place of a normal remote control that many electric fireplaces have, MagikFlame takes it one step further and has an intuitive and easy to use smartphone app for you to control your fireplace. With this app, you can turn the fireplace on and off or change other settings from anywhere in your home. You can turn on the fireplace in the living room from the comfort of your bed upon waking, so it is already toasty by the time that you get in there. With the push of a button on your phone, you can easily turn your fireplace on or off, set the temperature, change between the variety of visual effects, cycle between the audio effects, and much more.
Because of all of the amazing features that a high end MagikFlame electric fireplace has to offer, many people believe that MagikFlame electric fireplaces aren’t just a good alternative to the real thing, but that they are actually better than the real thing.
If you like what you are hearing about MagikFlame electric fireplaces and you want to know some more about the company, the products, and how they are built, please check out some of the following links:
- MagikFlame Story: Every great product has a great story behind it. Learn how the magnificent technology that makes MagikFlame so great came from a background on doing visual effects for big blockbuster Hollywood films.
- How MagikFlame Is Built: There is no surprise that MagikFlame fireplaces are made with quality materials and parts, and the care that goes into each MagikFlame fireplace is why they are as great as they can be.
- MagikFlame Electric Fireplace Buying Guide: For all of the additional details you might have about these electric fireplace, you can read this incredibly informative write up.
- MagikFlame Reviews: Hearing the reviews and testimonials of existing MagikFlame customers should help you understand why MagikFlame fireplaces are a great choice for any home.
- MagikFlame Warranty: Because MagikFlame is so confident in the quality of their amazing fireplaces, they have a wonderful full warranty that reflects that same confidence.
- MagikFlame Payment Plans and Financing: If you think you are ready to pick up a MagikFlame fireplace, read here for some great financing options so your ordering process is as effortless as possible.