Building a new home or doing a remodel of part of your existing home can be a lot of fun. However, it can also be a bit overwhelming. This is even true when you consider outdoor areas. This is especially true if you are looking for a good heavy duty backyard fire pit or something similar. Luckily, unlike a lot of home improvement projects, you aren’t going to need the help of a home builder, architect, or interior designer to make this home decor decision. With the help of this article, we are going to help you choose the right fire pit or heating element for the outdoor area that is right for you.
Just like interior design choices, with the outdoor area of your home you need to make sure the fire element you choose is right for your goals and the space that it is in. If you want something to warm the area around your outdoor BBQ while you are grilling hot dogs or you just want to roast some marshmallows to make some s’mores, there are many options out there.
There are even options like electric fireplaces that work well in certain situations. All of these options and much more will be covered in the post that follows.
In This Post, You’ll Have Each of the Following Questions Answered:
- Does a Fire Pit Only Come In a Wood Burning Fire Pit Variety or Are There Natural Gas or Propane Gas Fire Pit Types You Can Use as an Outdoor Fire Pit? – We explore the different types of fuel that you might find for outdoor fire pits.
- Is a Fire Pit That Uses Gas a Smokeless Fire Pit? – This section covers smoke in regards to fire pits that use gas.
- Is a Yukon Solo Stove Bonfire Smokeless Even Though It Burns Wood? – If you are familiar with this specific type of fire pit that burns wood, you may be curious how smokeless it really is.
- What Are Some Different Fire Pit Materials That a Fire Pit Can Be Made Out of? – For this part, we’ll talk about some of the more common materials you might be able to get when looking at fire pits.
- What Features Should You Look Out For If You Want The Best Fire Pit? – There are more features than just materials when purchasing fire pits. This section will cover them.
- Is a Table Top Portable Fire Pit Good For an Outdoor Living Space? – We discuss the efficiency of smaller fire pit devices built for outdoor tables.
- What Advantages Do a Stainless Steel Fire Pit Have Over Other Fire Pit Types? – We list some of the reasons you might want to choose stainless steel if you get a fire pit.
- Can You Add a Lava Rock Arrangement or Other Fire Pit Accessories To a Fire Pit That Is Stainless Steel? – This section is all about the accessories you can safely use with fire pits.
- Is a Fire Pit That Is Made From Stainless Steel Easy To Clean Up Compared To Some Other Types of Fire Pits?
- Can You Use a Stainless Steel Fire Pit For More Enclosed Areas Like an Enclosed Patio or a Covered Deck or Should You Use an Electric Fireplace? – If you want to use a fire pit for areas with any kind of covered deck or enclosed area, you may want to read this section carefully.
- How Are The Aesthetics of an Electric Fireplace Over a Stainless Steel Fire Pit? – We discuss the visual differences between fire pits and electric fireplaces.
- Do Electric Fireplaces Make Good Outdoor Fireplaces Over Wood or Gas For Enclosed Spaces Like an Enclosed Patio? – If you go the fireplace direction, this will explain why you should avoid wood and gas fireplaces for covered spaces.
- What Are All of The Benefits and Advantages That Electric Fireplaces Come With? – To make things clear, this part will list all of the advantages of electric fireplace use.
- Is Amazon a Good Place To Pick Up a Cheap Deal on a Generic Fireplace For Your Outdoor Enclosed Areas? – Read this part before you start hunting for cheap fireplaces online.
- What Electric Fireplace Types Are There and Which Are Best For an Outdoor Patio or Other Similar Space? – If you decide you want to go with an electric fireplace for you patio or covered outdoor space, this will help you choose the best type.
- Which Electric Fireplace Brand Has The Most Authentic Flame Effects? – For people that prefer realism, this will highlight the best electric fireplace available.
Does a Fire Pit Only Come In a Wood Burning Fire Pit Variety or Are There Natural Gas or Propane Gas Fire Pit Types You Can Use as an Outdoor Fire Pit?
While there are plenty of fire pits that you can use a little kindling or a fire starter log, there are also gas options as well. Gas that is natural has the benefit of being able to be hooked up to the gas lines of your home so you don’t have to change tanks. A propane fire pit or other propane gas heating device will definitely need tanks changed once in awhile, but the gas is a bit more efficient and cleaner burning. Which fuel type you want to go will mostly come down to your own personal preferences.
Is a Fire Pit That Uses Gas a Smokeless Fire Pit?
Most fire pits that use gas don’t really produce much if any smoke. Although, carbon monoxide is still something that is released into the air. This is why even gas fire pits with no smoke need proper airflow and ventilation if they are in any enclosed area. If your fire pit is in the open air, then you don’t need to worry about harmful emissions as much.
Is a Yukon Solo Stove Bonfire Smokeless Even Though It Burns Wood?
If used properly, these smokeless fire pits produce very little if any smoke. This is due to their double wall design. This can make them nice if a group of people want to sit around the fire without anyone getting smoke blown in their face. It is important to know, that even though they only produce a little bit of smoke, you want to avoid using these under any kind of outdoor canopy or enclosed patio due to the smoke building up and being toxic to breath.
What Are Some Different Fire Pit Materials That a Fire Pit Can Be Made Out of?
There are several different materials that will change the style, quality, and durability. You can get fire pits that have a steel construction, some that are cast iron, stone, and more. Some fire pits may even have an aged look with a nice patina.
What Features Should You Look Out For If You Want The Best Fire Pit?
There are several features you may want depending on your personal preferences and situation. If it is gas fire pits you’re talking about, you can get them with an electronic ignition. For ones that burn wood, you should probably make sure it includes a spark screen to help prevent embers sparking off and starting a fire. Because they don’t spark as much, a spark screen isn’t really necessary for gas fire pits, however it can still be useful to protect people or pets from falling into the fire.
Is a Table Top Portable Fire Pit Good For an Outdoor Living Space?
While the portability is nice, a fire pit table unit usually doesn’t produce a lot of heat. It can be useful if it is just a couple people sitting around the table and it isn’t very cold out. If it is particularly cold in your region or you have several guests, you will want to go with something a bit more robust.
What Advantages Do a Stainless Steel Fire Pit Have Over Other Fire Pit Types?
Stainless steel is very fire-resistant, so they are very safe and easy to maintain. The surface is resistant to corrosion and stains. This makes it ideal for use in the open air where it will regularly be exposed to the elements.
Can You Add a Lava Rock Arrangement or Other Fire Pit Accessories To a Fire Pit That Is Stainless Steel?
In most cases, it is no problem at all. You’ll want to check with the specific brand or model you choose. However, overall, it is safe to use fire glass or rocks with most fire pits. This is especially aesthetically pleasing with pits that have a fire bowl or fire ring design. Keep in mind that there is slightly more work involved with cleaning when using fire glass or rocks.
Is a Fire Pit That Is Made From Stainless Steel Easy To Clean Up Compared To Some Other Types of Fire Pits?
Compared to a porous stone or similar material, stainless steel is much easier to keep clean. You can easily clear it of any rocks or glass you use, wash those separately, and then wipe down the fire pit of any dirt. Porous stone and concrete fire pits are much more likely to get a lot of undesirable material stuck in it, which can prove difficult to keep clean.
Can You Use a Stainless Steel Fire Pit For More Enclosed Areas Like an Enclosed Patio or a Covered Deck or Should You Use an Electric Fireplace?
You should completely avoid using fire pits under any kind of covering or interior area. This goes for a covered deck, and especially for things like enclosed patios. It doesn’t matter if they are partially or fully enclosed. Any fire pits, gas or wood, releases harmful emissions into the air. These harmful emissions will be collected and make it difficult to breath. This is why indoor wood and gas fireplaces need ventilation of some kind.
In contrast, electric fireplaces provide all the necessary warmth for these more enclosed areas without the harmful emissions. For this reason, if you are trying to warm an outdoor area that is not completely open to the air, you will usually be better off with an electric option like an electric fireplace. Even with the open air, if you want the heating element over something like a wood deck that could be flammable, you will likely still want to avoid fire pits and may want to opt for an electric fireplace instead.
How Are The Aesthetics of an Electric Fireplace Over a Stainless Steel Fire Pit?
Aesthetically, electric fireplaces are great. There is a wide variety of types, mantel styles, flame effects, and more that come with electric fireplaces. While fire pits tend to have a rugged, industrial feel to them, electric fireplaces can be more modern and luxurious. High end electric fireplaces can have fire effects that look just as good as the flames from a traditional wood fireplace.
Do Electric Fireplaces Make Good Outdoor Fireplaces Over Wood or Gas For Enclosed Spaces Like an Enclosed Patio?
Even if you were to install ventilation to your enclosed patio or covered deck for a wood or gas fireplace, there are still plenty of problems that make them less than ideal. For instance, these are all the disadvantages of going with a wood fireplace for your enclosed patio or other area:
- Fire Safety – The chance of a house fire is greatly increased when using any kind of wood burning fireplace inside of your home.
- Harmful Emissions – Wood fireplaces emit a lot of smoke and carbon monoxide and not all of it escapes through the chimney.
- Hassle To Use – You have to do quite a lot of work in order to keep wood fireplaces maintained.
- Heat Loss Problem – Because wood fireplaces need ventilation, some heat will always be lost through the chimney as well.
- Smell – No matter what, there will be a smoky smell throughout your house, and it is common for that smell to linger for several days. Even on a patio this can be an issue.
- Stains – Over the years, your walls, furniture, and more, will begin to yellow and stain.
- TV Damage – If you wanted to mount a TV set above a wood fireplace for your enclosed patio, it will break due to rising heat and smoke.
- Wood Storage – All that wood will take up a lot of space.
- Expensive To Build – Building wood fireplaces is a big job that will cost much more than it is worth.
Gas fireplaces have a few advantages over wood fireplaces, but with them come even more problems:
- Flame Is Exposed – Their exposed flames still pose a house fire risk.
- Carbon Monoxide – Carbon monoxide is still emitted and can be deadly in large quantities.
- Ugly Flame Color – The flames of gas fireplaces never look good when it comes to color.
- Weak Flame – Gas fireplaces have flames that are very static. They don’t dynamically flicker like a fireplace should.
- Costly Installation – You’ll spend a lot hiring professionals to install these for you, as it isn’t very safe to do yourself.
What Are All of The Benefits and Advantages That Electric Fireplaces Come With?
If you are still on the fence about an electric fireplace for your covered patio or other outdoor space, here are all of the reasons that you should use an electric fireplace over other options:
- No Added Fire Risk – Electric fireplaces don’t increase the chance of a house fire like wood and gas.
- No Harmful Emissions – You can rest easy know your electric fireplace doesn’t put out things like smoke or carbon monoxide.
- No Staining or Smells – Those smoky smells and stains won’t be an issue with electric fireplaces.
- Using it is Easy – Compared to heating devices that use wood or gas, electric fireplaces are incredibly simple for you to use. Just turn it on and enjoy.
- Easy Installing – As long as you have a nearby electrical outlet, these fireplaces are effortless to install by yourself. Since most patios usually have some kind of outdoor electrical outlet, this shouldn’t be an issue.
- TV Safe – If you want to mount a TV above your electric fireplace on your enclosed patio, it is perfectly safe since there is no smoke and the heat blows out instead of up.
- Heat Efficiency – Electric fireplaces with infrared quartz heating coils are incredibly efficient.
- Remote Control – Most electric fireplaces come with some kind of useful remote control.
- Realistic Flame Effect Ambiance – With the purchase of a quality brand of fireplace that uses holographic flames, you can get a fireplace that looks as good as the real thing.
Is Amazon a Good Place To Pick Up a Cheap Deal on a Generic Fireplace For Your Outdoor Enclosed Areas?
You should really avoid any kind of generic fireplaces. While their price makes them seem like a good deal, you really do get exactly what you pay for. Generic fireplaces don’t last as long, perform poorly, and they tend to look cheap and tacky. If you are at all serious about getting an electric fireplace, it is usually best to buy a high-quality fireplace from a trusted brand.
What Electric Fireplace Types Are There and Which Are Best For an Outdoor Patio or Other Similar Space?
If you are having trouble picking the right fireplace for your covered patio area or other outdoor space, here are the different types and which you might want to consider:
- Flat Wall Mantel Package – You can’t go wrong with this classic look. These open hearth style fireplaces look great on enclosed patios or under covered decks.
- Corner Fireplace – These are no different than above but can save some space.
- TV Stand Fireplace – You may want to avoid these due to the smaller fireplace units inside of these TV stands.
- Corner TV Stand Fireplace – These have the same problems as the previous type.
- Wall Mount Fireplace – If you are up for wall mounting, these have an interesting modern look.
- Electric Insert – These are best if you have an existing fireplace you want to convert to electric.
- Freestanding Fireplace Heater – Like most portable heaters, these are very weak, look cheap, and should usually just be avoided.
- Electric Stove – Unless you are going for a strong rural farmhouse look, you will want to avoid these electric fireplaces that mimic a farmhouse wood stove.
Which Electric Fireplace Brand Has The Most Authentic Flame Effects?
MagikFlame electric fireplaces are easily the leader when it comes to realistic 3D flames. Of course, they have much more to offer as well. Here are all of the main features you will be able to enjoy with your MagikFlame fireplace:
- Ultrarealistic 3D Fire Effects – The holographic flames are 3D projected onto a physical log set for authentic looking realism. There are 30 different styles of flames that MagikFlame fireplaces can produce. All of the different flames flicker, move, and dance like the real thing.
- Crackling Log Sounds – MagikFlame fireplaces produce realistic sounds of crackling logs to further push the realistic fireplace atmosphere. Nature sounds are also available.
- 5,200 BTU Heater – The 5,200 BTU infrared heating device that comes with your MagikFlame fireplace has the ability to warm an area of 1,000 square feet.
- Smartphone App – With their smartphone or tablet app, you are easily able to fully control your MagikFlame fireplace from anywhere within your home.
For FAQs and additional information, check out these resources:
- MagikFlame Story: A good read if you want to know how MagikFlame got its start.
- MagikFlame Reviews: Hear the details directly from existing MagikFlame customers.
- Leading Electric Fireplace Buying Guide: This buying guide will help answer any further questions you might have about electric fireplaces.
- How MagikFlame Is Made: Find out for yourself exactly what goes into these high end fireplaces.
- Payment Plans and Financing: Check out the helpful financing options available for MagikFlame fireplaces.
- MagikFlame Warranty: Enjoy a full warranty so that you can make sure you are completely satisfied with your fireplace.