Do you watch those fun home renovation shows on DIY network or HGTV? Tim Tebow, former NFL quarterback, made a post-football career on hit shows such as “Home Free” trying to renovate sections of homes in minutes or full home construction within hours.
Everyone knows this is highly unlikely, but this style of fast-moving home remodeling simplifies the real complexity and difficulty of improving any living space. When taking a look at minor elements of a room renovation, such as installing an electric fireplace insert, tv shows should provide a sense of what’s involved step-by-step.
In this post, you will learn:
- Organize and save sanity — tips for home renovation
- Understand how to install an electric fireplace insert
- MagikFlame installation in five easy steps
Organize The Process and Save Your Sanity
Many electric fireplace enthusiasts, interior designers and home builders, often get confused while researching different types of electric fireplaces on the market. As you know, there are various types such as mechanical, water-based, holographic, and others available on the market. For a complete list, please see our electric fireplace buying guide.
A wall mounted electric fireplace is great for renovation and new construction installations. We’ll walk you through some various steps to organize the process including structural modification, potential demolition, structural carpentry, and electrical wiring by an electrician. The more organized and methodical approach, the easier it is to complete an electric fireplace installation that is on-time and in-budget.
Here is the initial home renovation process – we’ll get to electric fireplaces in a moment. The overall home process should integrate a major or minor living space approach.
- Design and Planning – Sketch out your architecture plans
- Interior Large Rooms – Ensure windows, gas lines, and siding are spaced appropriately and functioning.
- Demolition – If you need to tear down lots of material, rent a large container for waste.
- Structural Carpentry – Add support for drywall, wall studs, and beams.
- Electrical – Review vital power outlets, plumbing and venting to avoid pitfalls and danger.
- Insulation – Walls and ceiling to ensure heating and cooling temperatures are preserved.
- Flooring – Avoid significant damage by installing laminate or wood in the late stages.
How to Install an Electric Fireplace Insert
We all enjoy our family room and living room. Creating that rare moment of serenity isn’t easy. As a matter of fact, the hard part is construction or renovation of your living space before actually enjoying the moment.
As you know, an electric fireplace with mantel can be an amazing home decor piece that becomes the focal point of the room. It has become the most viable alternative to a gas fireplace and wood burning combustible types.
Considering the importance for holidays, ambiance, and family gatherings, we should prepare for the most seamless, efficient installation of the new fireplace and firebox.
Additionally, built-in electric fireplace wall units are suitable for both new construction and specialized applications. Inserts or an existing fireplace can be permanently built-in and hard wired within a wall or feel free to plug into an existing power supply or electrical outlet. Install it yourself if you have home building and renovation experience. If not, we highly recommend hiring a licensed electrician or contractor to review the fireplace opening and begin the installation process on your behalf.
Here is a universal electric fireplace installation process:
- Prepare the correct tools – If this is a basic installation, a phillips screwdriver, hamer, level, measuring tape, pliers, and ladder may be needed. A wall mount electric fireplace can weigh around 50 lbs. Therefore, you may need a weight belt to protect your back from injury.
- Consult manufacturer instructions – Understand the recommended specs and detail for your wall unit.
- Select the power supply – A typical electric fireplace with flame effect should be wired for 120V using three non-metallic sheathed cables with grounding wire for the power supply. The 220V uses four cables. All wires should be 12-14 gauge solid with a dedicated 15 amp breaker for 120 volts. Ensure wires meet local and national electrical codes and guidelines for compliance. Consult a licensed electrician if you are a do-it yourselfer (DIY) or if you do not have a power outlet or supply.
- Clearance requirements – Typically, electric fireplaces have zero clearance. Use dimension specs when constructing the framing and make sure to accommodate any air intake system.
- Identify a wall location – Find a location in the family room (ideal focal point location) that avoids moisture, dust and flammable material (E.g. drapes, linen couches, etc.). Install the fireplace away from direct sunlight and overhead lighting.
- Place the fireplace into the wall – Remove all manufacturer packaging and plug in the new wall placement. Test prior to securing the unit to the wall. Plug in the fireplace insert and use the remote control provided (unless there is a smartphone app) to activate.
MagikFlame Installation in Five Easy Steps
The best electric fireplace is MagikFlame. It is the only manufacturer with 30 life-like flames that appear to burn on the electric log set. By using real video of actual fire, the flames appear real because — they are real.
See the MagikFlame electric fireplace insert installation guide for more detail and diagrams.
Below are five easy steps to install MagikFlame:
- Unbox log set and plug into outlet
- Plug in power cord to log set
- Install glass (2 screws)
- Plug into wall
- Press power button on remote
Installing an electric fireplace insert is both easier and less expensive than installing a traditional combustion fireplace. Save on costly gas line installation and venting by going with a realistic electric fireplace insert instead. Installing this type of fireplace is also easier as only minor modifications need to be done to the structure, and often permits are not required for this type of installation. We would recommend considering a safe and efficient electric fireplace to bring the beauty of flames to any living space without hassle.