Putting the right electrical fireplace in your living space is a delicate matter. You want to get one that is the right size for your room, looks great, captures the atmosphere of a traditional fireplace by producing good fire effects, and warming your house efficiently.
The problem lies in the fact that there are so many different types of electrical fireplaces out there in the first place. Unlike a wood fireplace that only has a few types and a gas fireplace that essentially only has two types, there is a type and style of the electrical fireplace for every situation that you can imagine.
In this article, we are mostly going to be comparing two specific types of electrical fireplaces. We will compare a fireplace that is a freestanding-style fireplace with one that is a wall mount style fireplace.
Make sure you read this article thoroughly before choosing one of these two types of fireplaces for your living room.
Freestanding Fireplace vs Wall Mounted? Explore Best Answer
- What Is a Freestanding Fireplace? – Here we will examine exactly what we mean when we talk about a freestanding-style fireplace and also what we don’t mean.
- What Are the Advantages of a Freestanding Fireplace? – In this section, we will talk about all of the advantages that come with getting a freestanding-style fireplace.
- What Are the Downsides of a Freestanding Fireplace? – There are some downsides of a freestanding-style fireplace when compared to one that is mounted on or in a wall. We will cover those here.
- What is a Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace? – Here will talk about the different types of electrical fireplaces that can be mounted on a wall.
- What Are the Advantages of a Wall Mount Fireplace over a Freestanding One? – In this section, we will look at the advantages that a wall mount fireplace might have one that is a freestanding-style fireplace.
- What Are the Downsides to a Wall Mount Electrical Fireplace Compared to Freestanding? – We cover the issues you might have when choosing a wall mount fireplace in your home over one that is a freestanding-style fireplace.
- Why Are Electric Fireplaces Better Than a Wood-Burning Fireplace or a Gas Fireplace? – Here will talk about the advantages in general that electrical fireplaces have over a fireplace that burns wood or one that burns either natural gas or propane.
- What Is the Problem With Buying Generic Fireplaces on Amazon or Walmart? – Here we will talk about the dangers of generic Amazon fireplaces and why it is best to invest in a better brand.
- What Are The Different Types, Styles, and Brands of Electric Fireplaces? – From brands like Duraflame, Dimplex, and more, there are a ton of types and styles of electrical fireplaces. Here will examine the types, styles, and brands that are available.
- Which Electric Fireplace Has a Flame Effect That Looks Like a Real Fire? – The most realistic electrical fireplace on the market will be especially highlighted in this final but important section of the article.
A freestanding-style fireplace is one that can rest on the floor rather than needing to be mounted or installed. While there are portable freestanding-style fireplaces like the small cast iron HomCom freestanding stoves, we aren’t referring to these types. In fact, as a general rule, these smaller space heater-style fireplaces should be avoided due to poor performance and generally just looking tacky.
Instead, we are talking about fireplaces that look more like a traditional one that sits against a wall on the floor but with a mantel above it. This can either be a model for a flat wall or a model built for a corner. Because they are installed against a wall, they may not appear to be freestanding-style electrical fireplaces but by the technical definition, they are.
A freestanding-style electrical fireplace often comes with a mantel that comes in a variety of styles like solid oak with a white finish, darker mantels with an espresso finish, and more.
There are a few main advantages of freestanding-style fireplaces. These are:
● Ease of Installation – With a freestanding-style electrical fireplace, they are really easy to install and set up. They are usually as simple as placing them on the floor, up against the best wall where you want them to go. After they are in the right spot, you can just plug a freestanding-style electrical fireplace into any standard 120-volt electrical wall outlet.
● Can Easily Be Moved To Another Room – While you don’t want to be doing this every day, because it is a freestanding-style electrical fireplace, you can pretty easily move it to another room if you decide to make some changes in your home. It isn’t a permanent piece on your main room, even if that is where it will be most of the time.
● Look More Traditional – Compared to a wall mount version, a freestanding-style electrical fireplace is one that looks a lot more like a regular open-hearth wood-style fireplace. This is especially true for the model that goes against a flat wall if you get it from a company that does authentic style mantels.
● Mount a TV Above Them – You can mount a TV above the mantel of a freestanding-style electrical fireplace and it will look very natural. It is a great way to take two main focal points of a room and bring them together in a single location.
The only real downside of a freestanding-style electrical fireplace is that it takes up more space than one that is mounted on the wall. Because they aren’t usually installed into a wall recession, they stick out a bit further. They also take up floor space where another piece of furniture might be able to go.
A wall mount electrical fireplace is one that can be installed by hanging it on the wall with mounting brackets instead of standing freely on the floor against the wall. These can also be installed into a wall that is either recessed or partially recessed.
These don’t usually come with any type of mantel, but instead usually have a stainless steel housing frame.
There are a few advantages to a fireplace that is wall-mounted compared to a freestanding-style electrical fireplace. First of all, a wall mount electrical fireplace looks great if you are going for a very modern look in your home.
A wall mount electrical fireplace can be much wider than a standard electrical fireplace. There are units that can span the long length of a wall instead of looking like a normal electrical fireplace size.
A wall mount electrical fireplace can be installed into a wall recession if you have the clearance in your wall for it. This means that it can be set flush with the wall, so it is not sticking out at all. It can also be built into a recession just partially so that it is not completely flush, but it sticking out just slightly for some more interesting depth. How far you want to install one of these into a wall recession will depend on if you prefer it to be flushed or not, and if the wall is even deep enough to fit the fireplace in it. Usually, this isn’t an issue.
Because the floor in front of it is completely clear, it is the perfect space if you want to put a sideboard cupboard or a credenza below the wall mount electrical fireplace. This gives you additional storage while taking up the same amount of vertical space of the wall.
There are a few downsides to a wall mount electrical fireplace that you must consider before getting one. These are:
● Harder Installation – The installation with a wall mount electrical fireplace is much more involved and harder work than other electrical fireplaces. They require mounting brackets to be installed and some heavy lifting to be done as you secure the fireplace to the mounting brackets. If you choose to install your wall mount electrical fireplace into a recessed wall, the installation gets that much harder. If you aren’t somebody that regularly does this kind of DIY project, you may even want to hire a professional to help you complete it.
● Permanent Fixture – Typically, a wall mount electrical fireplace is going to feel quite a bit more permanent than a freestanding-style fireplace. This is because of both the mounting bracket installation and the possibility of a wall recession install. If you wanted to remove this and put it in another room, it would be a bit more work than normal and would require you to also repair the holes where the mounting bracket installed.
● Not As Traditional – While these typically have a great modern look, they don’t usually look as traditional as a freestanding-style electrical fireplace with a mantel. If you are someone that prefers the more traditional look, you might want to go with a freestanding-style fireplace rather than a wall mount electrical fireplace.
● No TV Above Them – While it is perfectly safe to install a TV above an electrical fireplace, they look very awkward above a wall to mount an electric fireplace. This is due to it already being up higher at eye level and leaving very little clearance above it. If you wanted to mount a TV in the same room or even on the same wall, it could still look fine, but installing it in the same vertical space as the wall mount electrical fireplace will look very strange.
Traditional wood fireplaces have tons of issues with safety and smoke inhalation as well as just being a huge hassle to even use. Gas-style fireplaces aren’t much better. While there are ventless gas-style fireplaces, even the ventless ones have issues with weak flames and strange blue flame color.
Here are all of the great advantages that electrical fireplaces have over other fireplace alternatives:
● There is no additional risk of there being a house fire because electrical fireplaces don’t actually burn anything or have a flame present whatsoever.
● Since there is no burning, there is also no smoke or carbon monoxide being produced. These two things can be deadly when inhaled from wood or gas fireplaces.
● Another advantage of there being no smoke is that you don’t have to worry about that smoky smell that lingers and gets in your hair, your furniture, your carpet, and your curtains. You also don’t have to worry about that smoke yellowing the walls of your home over the years, requiring you to repaint more often.
● You don’t have to split logs, build a fire, and maintain a fireplace. It is easy to use. You can just set it to whatever temperature you want to set it at and enjoy it.
● For most models, the installation is quite easy. Even for a wall mount electrical fireplace, the installation is still easier than one that uses wood or gas.
● Without the need for any kind of sophisticated ventilation, you can easily put an electrical fireplace in any room of your home. Many people like to put them in rooms like the dining room, their bedroom, or even a home office or study.
● Heat Efficiency – With a powerful and efficient heating device inside of a high-quality electrical fireplace, these use very little power to warm a home. Also, since they don’t have ventilation, you don’t have to worry about heat being lost out of the chimney as it does with a wood-burning fireplace.
● Supplemental Zone Heating – If you have a particularly large home where a single electrical fireplace isn’t enough, you can actually benefit from an even cheaper electrical bill with zone heating. You put the fireplace in a different zone within the house and you only turn your fireplace on when someone is using that part of the home.
● Remote Control – Electrical fireplaces almost always come with some kind of remote or an app that can be installed on a tablet or a smartphone.
● Flame Effect That Captures True Ambiance – If you have a higher quality fireplace like MagikFlame, you can get very realistic fire effects from their holographic technology.
Regardless of where you get it from, you should avoid any kind of generic models. Generic model electrical fireplaces look bad, don’t heat homes well, break down quickly, and have fire effects that are far from convincing.
While the price of many of these generic brands might seem very enticing, the truth is, you are going to end up spending much more money because of them. First, your home will never be warm enough, but your electric bill will be high due to the poor efficiency of the generic fireplace. Second, it will need repairs after only a year or two of general use. Third, you will likely end up buying another one because you are so sick of how bad it is.
Instead, if you invest more in a more deluxe quality electrical fireplace, you will actually save more money in the long run. Your home will be much warmer while your electric bill is much lower due to a way more efficient heater inside of it. The fireplace will last much longer without the need for repairs. Lastly, you will be so happy with how your fireplace looks and feels, you won’t want to replace it.
An added bonus with a quality electrical fireplace from a trusted brand is that all of that money that you save on your electric bill compared to a cheap, generic fireplace, will actually end up paying for that better fireplace in the long run. If you buy a higher-end electrical fireplace on a payment plan, you will start being able to put those savings towards your payments right away.
There are several types of electrical fireplaces:
● Flat Wall Fireplace Mantel Package – This is the common type that stands against the wall and is technically a freestanding-style fireplace.
● Corner Fireplace – This is the same as the flat wall mantel unit but made for the corner.
● TV Stand Fireplace – This is a fireplace built into a TV stand. There is usually additional room for shelving that resembles bookshelves, cabinets, or just cubbies.
● Corner TV Stand Fireplace – this is the same as the TV media stand unit but built for a corner.
● Wall Mount Electric Fireplace – This is the wall mount electric fireplace talked about in this article so far.
● Electric Fireplace Insert – A fireplace insert gets installed into the firebox of a regular wood-burning fireplace to convert it into one that is electric. When installing one in a firebox, it is important to check the dimensions of the insert and the size of the firebox so that you know it fits properly.
● Portable Freestanding Electric Fireplace – While many on this list are technically freestanding-style electrical fireplaces, this is the portable one that we said you should avoid. These usually don’t heat homes very well and have terrible fire effects that look very cheap and lack class.
● Fireplace Stove – This is an electrical fireplace that is trying to mimic a wood-burning stove. A wood-burning stove wood stove is usually only found in wilderness cabins and needs a small venting flue to let the smoke out. While these electric version doesn’t need any kind of ventilation, they still look out of place in your average modern home.
When choosing brands, there are a lot to choose from like Dimplex, Duraflame, and more. It is important to choose a brand that has the features that you prefer, a quality heater inside, and fire effects that look realistic.
For the most realistic fire effects, a great heater, and a quality brand, check out the following section.
For the most realistic fireplace you can possibly get for your home, look no further than MagikFlame fireplaces:
● 3D Realistic Flame – Inside of a MagikFlame electrical fireplace, holographic flames are projected onto a physical log set to truly capture the look of a real fireplace. There are 30 different styles of flickering flames that you can choose from.
● Crackling Log Sounds – In addition to their realistic fire, they also have realistic fire sounds like crackling logs. This adds to the atmosphere and immersion far beyond what most electrical fireplaces do. There is also some optional nature sounds you can play as well.
● 5,200 BTU Electric Fireplace Heater – The 5,200 BTU infrared quartz fireplace heating element can easily keep your home of up to 1,000 square feet warm with the instant warm air that starts being gently cycled by the blowers after you set the thermostat. If you have a home of over 1,000 square feet, you can purchase an additional 5,200 BTU infrared quartz MagikFlame fireplace and set your home up for zone heating. This means you will actually save more money on your heating bill with more than one infrared heater by not heating up the entire home at the same time, rather only heating the area of the home that is being used.
● Smartphone App – With the intuitive smartphone app that comes with your MagikFlame fireplace, you can turn the fireplace on and off with ease, change the fire effect, brightness settings, audio effects, set the adjustable thermostat, and more.
For people that want to know more about MagikFlame electrical fireplaces:
● Intriguing MagikFlame Story
● Wonderful MagikFlame Reviews
● Detailed MagikFlame Best Electric Fireplace Buying Guide
● Eye-opening How MagikFlame Is Built
● Useful Payment Plans and Financing
● Confident MagikFlame Warranty