Home decor can be a tricky thing when you have limited space. This is especially true if you want to fit a fireplace into your new home or even if you are just doing a remodel of your existing home. However, even with little available space, there is no need to consult with an architect, a home builder, or even an interior designer. With this guide, we’re going to give you 14 helpful interior design, fireplace design, and other fireplace ideas so that you can maximize the space with a fireplace for the corner of the room.
These design ideas will allow you to enjoy the comfort of a modern fireplace, without taking too much space in the room. Whether you want something with a cast iron look, a rustic look, and more, we have you covered. Let’s get right into the guide.
Here Is a Complete List of All of The Topics That Will Be Discussed Within This Guide:
- What Is The Difference Between a Fireplace That Uses Gas and Is a Vent-Free Fireplace versus One That Uses Gas and Isn’t Vent Free?
- What Are The Common Gas Fireplace Types That You Can Install as a Home Improvement Project For Your Living Room?
- Which Fuel Type Is Best For a Gas Fireplace: Propane, Natural Gas, or Ethanol?
- Why Do Some People Choose To Go With a Corner Gas Fireplace In Their Living Room?
- What Are 14 Different DIY Fireplace Ideas To Maximize Space Using a Corner Gas Fireplace in Your Home Design?
- What Are The Problems You Might Face When Using a Corner Gas Fireplace or Another Type of Gas Fireplace Within Your Home?
- Why Are Electric Fireplaces a Better Choice Over Both Wood and Gas Fireplaces As a Fireplace Heating Solution For Your Home?
- Is There a Corner Electric Fireplace That Has The Same Benefit As Corner Gas Fireplaces Without All of the Downsides?
- What Other Electric Fireplace Types Can You Find For Your Home If You Don’t Want One For The Corner of The Room?
- What Is The Brand of Electric Fireplaces That Has The Highest Quality and Most Realistic Fire Effects?
What Is The Difference Between a Fireplace That Uses Gas and Is a Vent-Free Fireplace versus One That Uses Gas and Isn’t Vent-Free?
A ventless gas fireplace is one that doesn’t emit too many harmful emissions such as carbon monoxide. For this reason, you don’t need to install ventilation with them. However, some gas fireplaces are direct vent built in gas fireplaces. Because of the harmful emissions put out and the amount of them, venting is required. However, a direct vent gas fireplace doesn’t need a large chimney like wood fireplaces do. Instead, you can get away with a smaller vent pipe that leads to the roof.
What Are The Common Gas Fireplace Types That You Can Install as a Home Improvement Project For Your Living Room?
While the main two types are mostly about whether or not a vent is needed, there are certain styles as well that you can choose from. You can have one that looks like a traditional fireplace. There are gas stove varieties as well. Keep in mind, this isn’t the gas stove for cooking in your kitchen. This gas stove is more just a fireplace made to look like rural wood stoves that you might find in cabins except these run on gas.
If you have an existing fireplace that is for burning wood, they do make a gas fireplace insert so that you can convert it to one that burns gas instead of wood for heat.
Keep in mind that some gas fireplaces have a more modern look with no logs to make it look real. Others will use gas logs that look like wood is burning but also to help break up the flames a little bit so that it flickers more like a fireplace that burns wood.
Pricing for gas fireplaces can vary a lot based on what type you get, what brand, and even the specific model that you end up choosing. Like most things, you’ll want to buy from a quality brand instead of a generic brand, no matter how good the price looks to you. Generic brands often have issues, need repairs, and more.
Which Fuel Type Is Best For a Gas Fireplace: Propane, Natural Gas, or Ethanol?
Ethanol is rarely used for larger fireplaces and is mostly used for small tabletop novelty devices. These aren’t really good for proper heating, so they can be ignored completely.
Then you have a natural gas fireplace. A natural gas fireplace can be hooked up to your main gas lines in the home so that you have a constant stream of gas.
Finally, you have liquid propane. This is a little bit more cleaner burning and efficient compared to the gas hookup from your home. However, you will need to change tanks from time to time which can be a bit of a pain. Keep in mind, if the region you live in doesn’t have gas utilities, then this will be your only viable option.
There are some units that are dual fuel, meaning they can successfully be used with either natural gas or propane.
Why Do Some People Choose To Go With a Corner Gas Fireplace In Their Living Room?
There are two main reasons they might want to do this. First, they want to save space by fitting their fireplace into the corner rather than the main part of the room. Second, they may have a room with a more asymmetrical layout where it just makes more sense to have the focus rather than against a regular flat wall.
What Are 14 Different DIY Fireplace Ideas To Maximize Space Using a Corner Gas Fireplace in Your Home Design?
Here are 14 quick ideas to help you maximize space with these fireplaces:
- Get a smaller unit in order to take up the least space possible.
- Place a TV on top of the fireplace and use it as a basic TV stand.
- Build a bookshelf above the fireplace so the vertical space isn’t wasted.
- Change the seating area to fit an asymmetrical room.
- Remove a lamp from that corner of the room since the fireplace glows.
- Choose one that connects to gas lines rather than needing tanks changed.
- Put it in a corner that you otherwise weren’t using instead of making it the focus.
- Place it next to an entertainment center as one consecutive unit.
- Move furniture closer to the fireplace so a smaller one is sufficient.
- Use a sectional couch with the open side facing the fireplace.
- Place the dog bed in front so the dog can stay warm while freeing up space in the rest of the room.
- Keep the doors closed off to the room so that a smaller fireplace can be used.
- Build it into a corner recessed wall to appear bigger.
- Use mirrors on your walls to open up the appearance of the room.
What Are The Problems You Might Face When Using a Corner Gas Fireplace or Another Type of Gas Fireplace Within Your Home?
While gas fireplaces are certainly a good idea compared to dangerous and problematic wood fireplaces, they still have some serious issues that you need to think about with them:
- Flame Is Exposed – Just like wood fireplaces, gas fireplaces still have a completely exposed flame. This exposed flame means that they are a serious fire hazard risk for your home. If the flames come into contact with something flammable unintentionally, this can end up starting a house fire and be very dangerous.
- Possible Gas Leak – Gas fireplaces are another point where a gas leak is possible. This is bad enough for breathing, but it is again a huge danger if gas fireplaces were to start leaking gas. The leaking gas could spark and cause an explosion and a fire.
- Carbon Monoxide – When gas burns, an incomplete burn of the gas can produce carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide will fill your home and carbon monoxide poisoning can be lethal. This is why you are supposed to have carbon monoxide detectors within your home. Although some gas fireplaces have venting, some can still make it into your home. Even more can flow in if the ventilation at all becomes blocked. Although some gas fireplaces don’t require ventilation, there can still be trace amounts of carbon monoxide. If there is a problem, even these gas fireplaces can put out plenty of harmful emissions without you knowing it.
- Ugly Flame Color – The colors for electric fireplaces just never quite seem to look right. First, you have the kind that try to look natural, but they always seem to look too dull. Then, you have the ones with bright neon colors like neon blue. These look completely unauthentic and the novelty wears off very quickly. It is easy to be underwhelmed with the colors of the flames in gas fireplaces.
- Weak Flame – Since the burners themselves are basically just glorified Bunsen burners, the flames for gas fireplace have the habit of looking extremely weak. They are basic streams of fire with little to no realistic flickering. Although some have logs inside that try to accomplish a realistic flicker by twisting the flame and breaking it up, it rarely looks as good as it should look.
- Costly Installation – Unless you have a lot of experience working with gas lines, you’ll likely need a professional to come to your house and install everything for you. This can be pretty expensive, especially if gas lines need to be run and a ventilation shaft needs to be installed.
Why Are Electric Fireplaces a Better Choice Over Both Wood and Gas Fireplaces As a Fireplace Heating Solution For Your Home?
Electric fireplaces have quite a few benefits to them that make them better than wood fireplaces, but also better than gas fireplaces as well. Here is what you get to enjoy with them:
- No Added Fire Risk – There are no flames and no burning with electric fireplaces so they don’t come with the extra fire hazard risk.
- No Harmful Emissions – Without the burning of electric fireplaces, there is no worry of smoke or carbon monoxide that wood and gas fireplaces are capable of producing.
- No Staining or Smells – There are no smoke stains on the wall, smoky smells, or even gassy smells to worry about with these.
- Using it is Easy – It is super easy to use them. Once you turn it on, you can set whatever temperature that you want the room to be, and then just forget about it.
- Easy Installing – You can easily install it yourself by putting it in place and plugging it in. It is that easy.
- Apartments and Condos – Whether you own or rent, you can put them in apartments and condos without issue.
- Any Room – With electric fireplaces, since there are no ventilation requirements and all you need is an electric outlet somewhere nearby, you can easily put them in any room of your house. You aren’t just limited to the main room of your house with these. Put it in the dining room, the family room, a bedroom, your office, and more.
- TV Safe – If you want to mount a TV up above it, that is completely safe to do.
- Heat Efficiency – They are extremely efficient with their infrared heating coils and complete lack of ventilation where heat will escape.
- Supplemental Zone Heating – Even extremely large homes can be efficiently heated with zone heating strategies.
- Remote Control – They come with a remote so you can stay seated.
- Flame Effect Ambiance – Electric fireplaces with holographic flame effects feel like the real thing.
Is There a Corner Electric Fireplace That Has The Same Benefit As Corner Gas Fireplaces Without All of the Downsides?
Yes, you absolutely can get a fireplace for the corner of your home that runs on electricity instead of gas. Many companies make versions like this. Not only are they often more efficient than gas fireplaces, but the units tend to take up a little less space with smaller profiles. These electric fireplaces for the corner can also have a TV placed on them or mounted above them without any issues. Of course, with most corner units, the size of the TV will be limited unless you build a wall at a 45 degree angle for mounting.
What Other Electric Fireplace Types Can You Find For Your Home If You Don’t Want One For The Corner of The Room?
There are many different varieties that you can choose from. Some are for specific scenarios and home layouts. Others are specific styles for novelty. And some you need to just steer completely clear of altogether. Here are the types:
- Flat Wall Fireplace Mantel Package – These mantel combo fireplace packages come with a fireplace and a mantel that is attached to it during installation. These are the ones that look most traditional, often like an open hearth style fireplace.
- TV Stand Fireplace – These are entertainment center and fireplace in one. However, these fireplaces may be weaker due to limited space.
- Wall Mount Fireplace – These can be mounted on a wall or installed into a recessed wall.
- Fireplace Insert – Use these to convert existing fireplaces or customize the mantel yourself.
- Freestanding Fireplace Heater – This is a fireplace that is freestanding, which is basically a portable heater. These freestanding units tend to have a lot of issues with performance and you should just avoid them for your home.
- Electric Stove – One of these fireplaces allows you to mimic a wood stove for cabins or farmhouses.
What Is The Brand of Electric Fireplaces That Has The Highest Quality and Most Realistic Fire Effects?
If you want a quality fireplace with realistic fire effects, you want MagikFlame fireplaces with their Holoflame technology inside of them. They even have a beautiful corner unit called the MagikFlame Churchill. They have several other models that are placed against a flat wall, or even an insert for your own custom solution. Regardless of which of these amazing models you end up choosing, they all come with the following incredible features:
- Ultrarealistic 3D Fire Effects – Within the firebox viewing area of the MagikFlame fireplace is a physical log set where holographic 3D projected flames flicker and dance. The flames look so real, don’t be surprised if many of your guests have trouble being able to tell the difference between your fireplace and a wood fireplace.
- Crackling Log Sounds – The sounds of logs crackling helps add a lot more realism. With these sounds you feel like you are sitting right in front of a real fireplace. On top of these sounds, you can even select options to play some additional nature sounds as well. This can further the relaxing ambience even more.
- 5,200 BTU Heater – The efficient heater inside of MagikFlame fireplaces ensures that 5,200 BTUs of heat can be pushed out of the blower. This allows an area of up to 1,000 sq. ft. to quickly be warmed and will stay warm, all while using the least possible amount of electricity in order to do so.
- Smartphone App – In place of a typical remote, MagikFlame electric fireplaces are controlled by an intuitive, simple app for your smartphone or tablet. With the easy to use device, you can control the thermostat, control the visual flame effects, control the sounds, and even more.