If you are looking to have fun by giving your backyard area a much needed makeover, then this article is here to help you. First, we are going to discuss many of the different things you will need to know about fireplace types for your backyard, safety, and more. Finally, we will give you five great tips on making some furniture for your backyard sitting area so that you can enjoy your outdoor area in comfort.
Here Is a List of Every Item That Will Be Covered Within This Post:
- Is a Patio Fireplace or Fire Pit a Good Focal Point or Centerpiece For Your Outdoor Space?
- Are There Kits For a Fire Pit or Outdoor Fireplaces?
- How Long Do Fire Pit or Outdoor Fireplace Kits Take To Ship To Your House?
- Can You Install Kits For Outdoor Fireplaces Yourself or Does a Contract Need To Come and Install The Outdoor Fire Pit or Fireplace For You?
- What Are The Advantages of Getting a Fire Pit or Patio Fireplace That Burns Propane?
- What Are The Advantages of Getting a Gas Fireplace or Gas Fire Pit For Your Outdoor Patio That Burns Natural Gas Over One That Uses Propane Gas?
- What Kinds of Accessories Should Homeowners Get For an Outdoor Gas Fireplace?
- Are There Any Issues With Using a Patio Fireplace That Is a Wood Burning Fire Pit or Wood Burning Outdoor Fireplace?
- Do Outdoor Fireplace Designs Like a Stone Fireplace or Stainless Steel Fire Pit Need To Be on a Hard Surface Like Pavers or Can You Put Them on a Wood Deck?
- Can an Outdoor Pizza Oven Also Work To Warm Up Your Outdoor Living Space?
- For Safety, Does It Matter If There Is a Pergola Around The Outdoor Heating Area?
- What Are The Five Ideas For a Backyard Patio Seating Area Where a Fire Pit or Fireplace Is Present In The Outdoor Living Location?
- For Indoor Use or Even on an Enclosed Patio Area, Are Fireplaces That Are Electric The Best Choice To Go With and How Many Different Types of Electric Fireplaces Are There?
- Which of The Different Electric Fireplace Brands Is Known For Having The Most Realistic 3D Flame Effects That Looks Like a Real Wood Fireplace?
Is a Patio Fireplace or Fire Pit a Good Focal Point or Centerpiece For Your Outdoor Space?
One of the best focal points you can have for your backyard or patio is a fireplace or some other fire element. Having a fireplace in your outdoor area, whether it is a fire pit, standard fireplace, gas, or even electric, gives a welcoming and inviting feeling. Whenever coming up with designs for your outdoor gathering areas, it is a great idea to start with your fireplace and then plan the rest around it.
Are There Kits For a Fire Pit or Outdoor Fireplaces?
Yes, there are many companies that make kits for you to have a fireplace in your backyard. These come in many different shapes, sizes, and styles. The type you get will often be dependent on your specific needs. Keep in mind that some companies will specialize in specific types of these fireplaces.
How Long Do Fire Pit or Outdoor Fireplace Kits Take To Ship To Your House?
How long it takes to ship something like that is really all about the specific fireplace you order and the company you order it from. Do they have everything in stock? Are they in your state? Did you have any custom pieces designed? All of these variables will depend on exactly when your fireplace will be there. If you are on a specific timetable for your backyard design, you should check with the company and ask for an estimated time of arrival for your fireplace.
Can You Install Kits For Outdoor Fireplaces Yourself or Does a Contract Need To Come and Install The Outdoor Fire Pit or Fireplace For You?
If you are someone that is already used to doing a lot of remodeling work around the house, it is a job you might be able to handle yourself. You can ask the company you are buying the kit from what the process is like and see if you need any specific tools for the job. Additionally, you can go on YouTube or some other websites and see video tutorials of these kids being built. This will give you a better understanding of what goes into putting the kit together.
If after looking at a video tutorial, it looks like you are up to the task and you don’t mind a little hard work, that’s great. If it looks like something a little bit beyond your current skill set or you just would rather let a contractor handle it for you, that is fine too. You can call around and try to hire a contractor that has already built an outdoor-style fireplace from a kit or something similar. Depending on the company you buy the kit from, they also might be able to make some recommendations or help you find a contractor in your area.
What Are The Advantages of Getting a Fire Pit or Patio Fireplace That Burns Propane?
Having a fireplace that uses propane has a couple of different advantages to it. First, it burns a little bit cleaner than some other types of gas, making it a little more environmentally friendly and safer for the nearby air that you breathe. Second, they are a little bit more heat efficient than other gas types, which may save you a little money if you use your fireplace quite a lot.
Keep in mind that you will need to change tanks from time to time and get them refilled. On top of this, you will also want to find a way to cover the tanks if it isn’t already hidden in the fireplace version you have. There are separate covers you can buy to hide the tank for aesthetic reasons or you can build your own cover.
What Are The Advantages of Getting a Gas Fireplace or Gas Fire Pit For Your Outdoor Patio That Burns Natural Gas Over One That Uses Propane Gas?
While they are a little less clean burning and a little less heat efficient, they do have one strong advantage over other gas types. With this gas, it will be hooked directly into the gas lines of your home so that you have a constant source of gas. There is no need to ever change tanks or refill them, it will just be included on your normal gas bill.
Of course, this means you are going to need gas lines installed. Usually, this will be running these underground. This is something you will need a professional for due to safety concerns and regulations that need to be followed. The further from the house the fireplace is, the more difficult the installation will be.
What Kinds of Accessories Should Homeowners Get For an Outdoor Gas Fireplace?
There are several different types of accessories that you can get for gas fireplaces. One of the most common things to do is to add a lava rock arrangement or some colorful fire glass to gas fireplaces that have a the fire bowl. There are also more traditional looking gas fireplaces that can have gas logs or a log grate in it so that it looks more authentic.
Are There Any Issues With Using a Patio Fireplace That Is a Wood Burning Fire Pit or Wood Burning Outdoor Fireplace?
The only real problem with using wood fireplaces, fire pits, or a chiminea for your outdoor living room or other space is that there is a chance of a fire due to the exposed flame and embers that can spark off of them. You need to make sure they are placed on nonflammable surfaces with nothing wood or flammable close by.
Make sure that you regularly rake up in leaves and debris, because these can be a big fire hazard when they are dry and nearby outdoor fireplaces that burn wood.
The last issue with wood-burning fireplaces for the backyard is that smoke will need a place to escape. If you are using it in the open air, this isn’t an issue. However, if you are using a fireplace that burns wood under a covered area, you need to make sure you have some kind of ventilation for the smoke and carbon monoxide to freely escape. This way you won’t have to worry about the harmful emissions that they produce.
Do Outdoor Fireplace Designs Like a Stone Fireplace or Stainless Steel Fire Pit Need To Be on a Hard Surface Like Pavers or Can You Put Them on a Wood Deck?
Yes, you will want to make sure your heavy fireplaces are placed on hard, nonflammable surfaces like stone, concrete, or something similar. This will be the foundation. It is important because it can properly hold the weight, keep your fireplace level, and there isn’t a risk of it catching on fire from a loose ember sparking off. If you want to place a fireplace onto a wood deck, you should be using a fireplace option that won’t increase the risk of a fire like an electric type of fireplace. However, it is also important that it is a covered area if you go electric as many electric heating devices aren’t rated for outdoor weather.
Can an Outdoor Pizza Oven Also Work To Warm Up Your Outdoor Living Space?
While building or installing an oven so you can make some amazing pizza is a fantastic idea for your backyard, it won’t be very efficient when used as a fireplace to keep people around it warm. This is due to the fact that the oven is designed to keep most of the heat inside of it cooking instead of released out to keep people warm. If you already have a nice area where you will be putting in a grill, oven, and more, consider just turning it into a complete outdoor style kitchen. You can include an additional fireplace along with it so that you can remain warm while being festive and doing some outdoor cooking.
For Safety, Does It Matter If There Is a Pergola Around The Outdoor Heating Area?
If you have a wooden structure like a pagoda or a pergola, you need to be aware of the flames of your fireplace. This is especially true of a wood-burning fireplace where the embers have the tendency to spark off and land nearby. You don’t want ember sparks to land on something flammable and unintentionally start a fire in your backyard. Because of this, you want to make sure there is adequate space between the pagoda and the fireplace, both horizontally or vertically. Be sure to use a spark screen for the best safety. Things like stone, stucco, or concrete are safer than items like wood. In addition to this, any kind of fireplace that burns wood or gas needs to make sure it has plenty of open-air or ventilation. If the structure above the fireplace is solid, you should use fuel types that don’t have any kind of harmful emissions that can be dangerous to breathe.
What Are The Five Ideas For a Backyard Patio Seating Area Where a Fire Pit or Fireplace Is Present In The Outdoor Living Location?
There are several different patio furniture style designs you can make as a little DIY home improvement project. Here is a list of five different ideas that you can use around your patio heaters:
- Palette Couch or Chairs – A great idea is to use old palettes and repurpose them to turn them into a couch or chair for you and guests to sit on. You can attach palettes side by side for the seat of a couch or a single palette for the seat of a chair. Use an additional palette for the back, attached at an angle, one one for each side as the legs. You can then buy or make your own cushions for the seat and back. Paint the palettes interesting colors so that you have some colorful furniture for the area. Try to use colors found in nature, and if you want a bit of color or texture, that can be done with the covers for your cushions.
- Repurposed Wood Storage Chest – If you have some kind of old wood or some leftover palettes, you can make a basic chest or box. This is useful if you need to store tools for your fireplace like tons or you want a place to store logs for fireplaces that burn wood. You can paint this and decorate it however you like, or sand it down and stain it to bring out the beautiful grain. For an added bonus, make it double as a side table next to the couch you built or between the chairs.
- Log Stools or Benches – Another fun type of seating you can make that involves using natural wood is when you simply use cut logs as stools. Use wider logs with a beautiful grain or bark to it. Additionally, you can take two or three of these logs and put a plank on top to make a simple bench. This is especially fun if you want to go for more of a rugged fireplace feel with a fire pit. It can almost feel like you are camping out in the woods rather than sitting in your very own backyard.
- Repurposed Tabletop – If you have some larger flat pieces of wood, you can repurpose them into a table for your outdoor area. This can also be done with palettes as well. Do you have leftover planks from building a fence or the gate to an old fence? These can also be repurposed. Just be sure to check any repurposed wood for termites or other infestations that you don’t want filling your backyard. Did you recently get a new table for your indoor area and are going to throw out that old wood table? Instead, sand it down, paint it or refinish it and use it as your outdoor table.
- Outdoor Kitchen Prep Counter – Instead of a table, you can use the same materials to make something that is more of a prep counter. This is great if you want to do a lot of cooking outdoors. Having a prep counter gives you a great place for everything you need while you are grilling, using your outdoor oven, and more. Additionally, if you have a lot of guests over for an outdoor feast, you can place all of the food on your counter for a serve yourself style lineup while keeping your table free for the guests to eat on it.
For Indoor Use or Even on an Enclosed Patio Area, Are Fireplaces That Are Electric The Best Choice To Go With and How Many Different Types of Electric Fireplaces Are There?
For enclosed patios and the interior of your home, an electric fireplace will be the best choice in most cases. Here are all of the amazing benefits you will be able to enjoy if you choose electric fireplaces over other types of fireplaces like a wood one or a gas one:
- No Added Fire Risk – Since nothing is burning, there is no added fire risk. Comfortably place on a wood patio without problems.
- No Harmful Emissions – Wood and gas fireplaces put out emissions that are dangerous. Even a vent-free gas style fireplace can let out some dangerous carbon monoxide. Electric fireplaces are free of these harmful emissions and instead only let out some clean and warm air.
- No Staining or Smells – Without the smoke, you don’t have to worry about any stains or smokiness in the air.
- Using it is Easy – No hassle like using and maintaining traditional fireplaces.
- Easy Installing – The installation is essentially just setting it down and putting in the plug.
- Any Room – Since ventilation isn’t a necessity, you can put them in any room.
- TV Safe – Unlike a wood or gas type of fireplace, it is safe to mount a TV above the mantel of electric fireplaces.
- Heat Efficiency – Infrared heating is incredibly efficient.
- Remote Control – Usually has a remote to control it.
- Flame Effect Ambiance – Some brands have absolutely realistic fire effects.
Of course, not all electric fireplaces are created exactly the same. There are many different types and some types are just overall better than other types. Some you will want to use in very specific situations. And even still, there are some types that you will want to never use at all because they work poorly and look tacky. Here are the different fireplace types that are electric:
- Flat Wall Mantel Package – The most traditional and a solid choice.
- Corner Fireplace – Similar to the flat wall but built for a cozy corner.
- TV Stand Fireplace – Buy with caution due to the weaker internal fireplaces.
- Corner TV Stand Fireplace – Just like above, buy these with caution.
- Wall Mount Fireplace – Slightly harder to install, but can give you a cool modern wall embedded look.
- Fireplace Insert – You can place one of these in the firebox of wood or gas fireplaces to convert it to electric or you can use them to build a custom surround or mantel.
- Freestanding Fireplace Heater – A portable device like this works poorly and looks tacky.
- Electric Stove – Looking like a wood stove, these only fit specific decorating styles.
Which of The Different Electric Fireplace Brands Is Known For Having The Most Realistic 3D Flame Effects That Looks Like a Real Wood Fireplace?
If you want a fireplace that has some ultra-realistic fire effects, MagikFlame is what you are looking for. There are several beautiful models that they offer like the MagikFlame Trinity fireplace that features a clean and modern white mantel. Whether you go with the Trinity, one of their other mantel packages, or even their insert, you get all of these features along with it:
- Ultra-Realistic 3D Fire Effects – Within the firebox of MagikFlame fireplaces is an ember bed with a physical log set on top. The 3D holographic flames are projected right onto this log set for a completely immersive experience. There are 30 different flame styles it can produce.
- Crackling Log Sounds – To add even more realism, MagikFlame fireplaces have crackling log sounds.
- 5,200 BTU Heater – The 5,200 BTU heating device can easily keep a home of up to 1,000 square feet warm and comfortable.
- Smartphone App – With the app that can be installed on your smartphone or tablet, you don’t need a regular remote. The app lets you effortlessly control your fireplace from anywhere within your home.
Here are a few more resources you may want to check out:
- MagikFlame Story: Discover how it started.
- MagikFlame Reviews: See what real customers are saying.
- MagikFlame Electric Fireplace Buying Guide: Find out more details about electric fireplaces.
- How MagikFlame Is Built: Learn how it’s made.
- Payment Plans and Financing: Enjoy simple financing options.
- MagikFlame Warranty: Relax knowing your fireplace has a full warranty.